The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hot Coils
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 am 
My 1850 with Lumenition optronic ignition seemed to have an issue with overheating coils. Having run ballasted and unballasted I found the only way to keep my coil cool was to increase the ballast in the system either by running an unballasted coil with a ballast or by a larger than 1.5 ohm resistor on a ballasted coil.

At the end of the day the ballast limits the input voltage to the coil and a different amount of ballast will allow you to control exactly what input voltage you should have. I was going to run a 1 ohm ballast in line to an unballasted coil and drop the cranking 12 volt feed.

Having read lots of threads and conflicting information I phoned the Lumenition manufacturer who said its normal for coils to get hot and should expect it to run between 60 and 70°C under normal warmed up conditions which would be too hot to touch.

I have gone now with running the car with an unballasted coil allowing it to get this hot. I have checked after warm up with a temperature meter and the coil gets to around 52°C Still very hot to touch.

In the end if concerned about hot coil i see no issue with limiting the ignition 12 volt supply with a ballast resistor, my alternator is feeding 14.5 volts via ignition live to the coil, a 1.5 ohm resistor dropped the feed to 11.5, a bit low for an unballasted coil, so a 1 ohm resistor should have got me a very healthy 12-13 volt feed and a luke warm coil. Dont reconnect the cranking 12 volt feed from the starter though as it wont be needed. As its still essentially an unballasted coil just having the 12 volt supply adjusted by an external ballast.

I may still do this myself in the future.

It may be incorrect info from Lumenition that the coil gets hot normally, as there are many knowledgable posters on here who say the coil shouldnt get hot.

Post subject: Re: Hot Coils
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:54 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Measuring voltages on a running or even static ignition system is a confusing business. Its a function of MANY things ans to what readings you will get. We dont just have a simple ohme's law situation....

Tony ( Mig Welder) is pretty good at explaining the why's and wherefore's of what is going on...

So my recommendation is to stop measuring voltages unless you have some pretty sophisticated meters and oscilloscopes.

Go back to measuring just resistance...of the coil and you ballast resistor. Typically they are supposed to be the same....1.5 ohms and a non ballasted coil is 3 ohms...IIRC.

The coil will get warm to the touch but non of mine are "hot". Older coils were fairly dull in finish to help loose heat and some were even painted black.

I still reckon you'd get best results by going for a bosch blue coil and forgetting any kind of ballast. Works for me...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:18 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Rob, This is actually a very interesting question from the electrical point of view. I connected up an ignition coil with metering on it and a variable power supply ... and I got some very strange results. In terms of dissipation and the thermal results. I'll do some more tests and come back to you later this week I hope.
Cheers for now,
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:33 pm 
TDC Member

Remember the coil is meant to be switched rather rapidly - "never leave the ignition on with the engine not running for extended periods, it will fry the coil" is a phrase I remember from the day. So unless a coil is getting regular and fast charge/discharge (sorry for the capacitor analogy) timing it will not perform as it should, it's not simply Ohms law.
But i'm sure you're aware of that Tony. :D

Edit: And I'm sure this is why Jeroen and others believe a 6v coil is better than a 12v coil, it's all to do with the time available for the build/collapse of the maximum field strength and hence the biggest spark.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 pm 

I had the same with this system on my 1300 Dolomite and replaced coils ballasts etc. without solving it. It also suffered from a very annoying miss or stutter when cruising at 50/55. I asked for help on here for advice on coils and sorting but could not get any satisfactory answer.

After changing every thing from several coils, plugs, leads and fitting additional earth leads the problems persisted, even a new coil was provided under warrantee. During investigations by myself and a Classic Restorer we found that the unit itself in the distributor was unbelievably hot, it was impossible to touch. It was removed and the base plate was found to be lose although the screw was fully tightened up. So we took the base plate off and found that it was black underneath where it had been shorting out on the distributor plate. We replaced it with points and condenser and the problem was resolved never to come back. This problem had been going on for the best part of three years and I had changed jets, well everything because everybody kept telling me that this piece of kit was brilliant, it works perfectly all the time or doesn't work at all, it wont be it.

Since solving mine by removal of the Lumenition kit I came across a post advising the use of small spring washers on the fixing screw of the base plate to stop this very problem. It was apparently a "known issue" that the screw provided is too long in some applications and will not secure the base plate sufficiently leaving it loose creating a bad earth and causes the issues I had with missing, hot coils and also starting problems. Found this out to late for me but it may be what's causing your problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:27 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I had the same with this system on my 1300 Dolomite and replaced coils ballasts etc. without solving it. It also suffered from a very annoying miss or stutter when cruising at 50/55. I asked for help on here for advice on coils and sorting but could not get any satisfactory answer.

After changing every thing from several coils, plugs, leads and fitting additional earth leads the problems persisted, even a new coil was provided under warrantee. During investigations by myself and a Classic Restorer we found that the unit itself in the distributor was unbelievably hot, it was impossible to touch. It was removed and the base plate was found to be lose although the screw was fully tightened up. So we took the base plate off and found that it was black underneath where it had been shorting out on the distributor plate. We replaced it with points and condenser and the problem was resolved never to come back. This problem had been going on for the best part of three years and I had changed jets, well everything because everybody kept telling me that this piece of kit was brilliant, it works perfectly all the time or doesn't work at all, it wont be it.

Since solving mine by removal of the Lumenition kit I came across a post advising the use of small spring washers on the fixing screw of the base plate to stop this very problem. It was apparently a "known issue" that the screw provided is too long in some applications and will not secure the base plate sufficiently leaving it loose creating a bad earth and causes the issues I had with missing, hot coils and also starting problems. Found this out to late for me but it may be what's causing your problems.

This should be made a sticky :)
Thanks for making that clear Rob

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:23 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

This should be made a sticky :)
Thanks for making that clear Rob

Tony
this is the reason that so many of these cheap Chinese electronic devices fail, they overheat. I'm having a bunch of 10 plates cut for mounting decent versions of the Electronic ignition modules, the same as Mitsubishi and some other manufacturers. I'm doing away with the vacuum advance and actually increasing the maximun advance weights from 22 to 34°. These plates are being cnc cut from 3mm ally plate and I'll use plenty of heatsink paste. Anyone else want a plate?
Back to coils though... I've seen someone had drilled holes behind the coil, in the inner wing, for cooling. I'm looking at using the Lucas 125 dry coil http://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/l ... ffce434a7f

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:17 pm 
Quote:

Excellent post will invesitage and install spring washer if same issue is present on mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:33 pm 
TDC Member

The 1-line Management summary is … Yes ! Ignition coils can run very hot. But it depends a lot on how you are running the engine.
Now I do these experiments so you don't have to. So don't try this at home as ignition coils by design generate very high voltages.
First some numbers to work with.
The temp; co of copper wire is +0.393% Deg C
Sprint dwell angle is 51 deg ON and 39 deg off.
Ignition coil primary inductance is approx; 10mH
Primary resistance of the Bosch 12V coil is 3.26 ohms at 24 Deg C
Secondary resistance of the Bosch 12V coil is 7.36 K at 24 deg C.
Note that when you quote a d.c. resistance of a copper wire wound coil the temperature should also be quoted due to its enormous temp; co; of resistance.
Now the worst case conditions for coil dissipation ( it gets hottest ) are at idle where the the inductive time constant of rate of rise of coil current forms the smallest portion of the coil ON time. The coil dissipation is the product of coil current^2 and the d.c. resistance
Example: with L= 10mH and R = 3.0 ohms the time constant to 63% of peak current is L/R seconds = 3.33mS or 16.5mS to 99% to full current.Which is quite a surprising result as at 6,000 rpm you have 1 spark every 5mS so the peak current gets nowhere near its peak value of 3.93A ( This determines spark energy )
Some more maths;
Assuming idle speed is 600rpm ( = 1 spark every 50mS ) and lets approximate the charge time of the coil to 3.3mS using the dwell time of the Lucas distributor as 51 deg, the ON time of the coil is (51/90 x 50 )mS . Or about 28.5mS less the charge time of 3.3mS. Lets call this 25mS in round numbers which is the time the coil current is at or near maximum or about 50% ON/OFF duty cycle in round numbers.
So if the coil was ON continuously it would dissipate 12.6V/ 3.2 ohms = 3.93A or 49.6W !
So if we put 50% of that power into an ignition coil that will give us an idea of its worst case dissipation.
So from Tamb = 24.4 degC, Rpri = 3.26 ohms, Rsec = 7.36K with 8.97 V across the coil it takes 2.75A = 24.6 W. A good start.
Now due to the enormous temp; co; of resistance of the copper wire its resistance increases and the dissipation decreases at constant voltage. The coil primary and secondary resistances increase.
After 20 mins we have 8.94V, 2.38A and the coil resistance is 3.80 ohms
After 30 mins we have 8.94V 2.25A and the coil resistance is 3.97 ohms
At 40 mins we have 8.92V 2.20A the coil resistance is 4.05 ohms which is where it stabilised. The case temp; was 74 deg C
So yes a good coil at idle will run hot.
Interestingly you can deduce the internal temperature of the coil windings by measuring the secondary resistance at room temp and again at 74 deg case temp.
At Room temp we have 7.36K and 10.12K at the 74 deg case temp, which from the temp;co; of copper wire gives 95.4 deg C + 24.4 dg C =119.8 deg C

Don't forget; today is a hot day at 24 deg C here in the U.K. At +4 Deg C in winter the coil case will only be at 54 deg C to use round numbers.

Looking at the other end of the rev; range at 6,000 rpm you get 1 spark every 5mS , and with a dwell angle of 51 deg the ON time is (51/90 x 5mS ) = 2.8mS but with an L/R time constant of 3.3mS the current will be around 50% of maximum so the dissipation will only be 1/4 of maximum so the temperature the coil gets to will be a lot lower. But the spark energy will also be a lot lower.

One other thing I found is that both the Bosch 12V coil and the Intermotor 6V ballasted coils I have are not wound according the the "classic" coil diagram of the H.T. return being connected the the negative terminal of the coil. Both are wired to the positive connector. There are no connections to the coil metal can.
So what is the return path for coil HT current ?
Through the battery / IGN switch / coil positive ?
Or through the capacitor across the points and the coil primary ?
Anyone still awake after reading this ?
Tony.

Attachments:
Bosch coil at 25W.png
Bosch coil at 25W.png [ 488.31 KiB | Viewed 2078 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:19 pm 
TDC Member

Surely the return path for the coil HT is through the HT wires to the dizzy then the spark plugs to engine earth???
Although they talk about primary and secondary these days I always thought the coil was wound more like an autotransformer? Hence only the single secondary connection - the king lead.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:03 pm 
TDC Member

Great write up Tony :thumbsup:

Tony
Quote:
The 1-line Management summary is … Yes ! Ignition coils can run very hot. But it depends a lot on how you are running the engine.
Now I do these experiments so you don't have to. So don't try this at home as ignition coils by design generate very high voltages.
First some numbers to work with.
The temp; co of copper wire is +0.393% Deg C
Sprint dwell angle is 51 deg ON and 39 deg off.
Ignition coil primary inductance is approx; 10mH
Primary resistance of the Bosch 12V coil is 3.26 ohms at 24 Deg C
Secondary resistance of the Bosch 12V coil is 7.36 K at 24 deg C.
Note that when you quote a d.c. resistance of a copper wire wound coil the temperature should also be quoted due to its enormous temp; co; of resistance.
Now the worst case conditions for coil dissipation ( it gets hottest ) are at idle where the the inductive time constant of rate of rise of coil current forms the smallest portion of the coil ON time. The coil dissipation is the product of coil current^2 and the d.c. resistance
Example: with L= 10mH and R = 3.0 ohms the time constant to 63% of peak current is L/R seconds = 3.33mS or 16.5mS to 99% to full current.Which is quite a surprising result as at 6,000 rpm you have 1 spark every 5mS so the peak current gets nowhere near its peak value of 3.93A ( This determines spark energy )
Some more maths;
Assuming idle speed is 600rpm ( = 1 spark every 50mS ) and lets approximate the charge time of the coil to 3.3mS using the dwell time of the Lucas distributor as 51 deg, the ON time of the coil is (51/90 x 50 )mS . Or about 28.5mS less the charge time of 3.3mS. Lets call this 25mS in round numbers which is the time the coil current is at or near maximum or about 50% ON/OFF duty cycle in round numbers.
So if the coil was ON continuously it would dissipate 12.6V/ 3.2 ohms = 3.93A or 49.6W !
So if we put 50% of that power into an ignition coil that will give us an idea of its worst case dissipation.
So from Tamb = 24.4 degC, Rpri = 3.26 ohms, Rsec = 7.36K with 8.97 V across the coil it takes 2.75A = 24.6 W. A good start.
Now due to the enormous temp; co; of resistance of the copper wire its resistance increases and the dissipation decreases at constant voltage. The coil primary and secondary resistances increase.
After 20 mins we have 8.94V, 2.38A and the coil resistance is 3.80 ohms
After 30 mins we have 8.94V 2.25A and the coil resistance is 3.97 ohms
At 40 mins we have 8.92V 2.20A the coil resistance is 4.05 ohms which is where it stabilised. The case temp; was 74 deg C
So yes a good coil at idle will run hot.
Interestingly you can deduce the internal temperature of the coil windings by measuring the secondary resistance at room temp and again at 74 deg case temp.
At Room temp we have 7.36K and 10.12K at the 74 deg case temp, which from the temp;co; of copper wire gives 95.4 deg C + 24.4 dg C =119.8 deg C

Don't forget; today is a hot day at 24 deg C here in the U.K. At +4 Deg C in winter the coil case will only be at 54 deg C to use round numbers.

Looking at the other end of the rev; range at 6,000 rpm you get 1 spark every 5mS , and with a dwell angle of 51 deg the ON time is (51/90 x 5mS ) = 2.8mS but with an L/R time constant of 3.3mS the current will be around 50% of maximum so the dissipation will only be 1/4 of maximum so the temperature the coil gets to will be a lot lower. But the spark energy will also be a lot lower.

One other thing I found is that both the Bosch 12V coil and the Intermotor 6V ballasted coils I have are not wound according the the "classic" coil diagram of the H.T. return being connected the the negative terminal of the coil. Both are wired to the positive connector. There are no connections to the coil metal can.
So what is the return path for coil HT current ?
Through the battery / IGN switch / coil positive ?
Or through the capacitor across the points and the coil primary ?
Anyone still awake after reading this ?
Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:18 pm 

So it comes down to,

At low revs the coil has to resort to increased heat dissipation,
but the older coil could rely on its casing to assist.

It seems as if the return is to the spark plugs, my leads run warmer on the new coil than the old Lucas sports.

Will study you post a bit more tomorrow Tony, nice job .

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
My 1850 with Lumenition optronic ignition seemed to have an issue with overheating coils. Having run ballasted and unballasted I found the only way to keep my coil cool was to increase the ballast in the system either by running an unballasted coil with a ballast or by a larger than 1.5 ohm resistor on a ballasted coil.

In the end if concerned about hot coil i see no issue with limiting the ignition 12 volt supply with a ballast resistor, my alternator is feeding 14.5 volts via ignition live to the coil, a 1.5 ohm resistor dropped the feed to 11.5, a bit low for an unballasted coil, so a 1 ohm resistor should have got me a very healthy 12-13 volt feed and a luke warm coil. Dont reconnect the cranking 12 volt feed from the starter though as it wont be needed. As its still essentially an unballasted coil just having the 12 volt supply adjusted by an external ballast.

It may be incorrect info from Lumenition that the coil gets hot normally, as there are many knowledgable posters on here who say the coil shouldnt get hot.
Hi Rob, Sorry I didn't answer your question directly. Yes, when I did that posting I did a quick hand-hot temperature measurement of my 12V unballasted ign coil after a trip back along the main road, also with the Lumenition Optronic ignition system in the middle of Winter when it was quite cold outside . Hence my estimation of "just hand hot coil temperature" .
Tomorrow I'll see if I can do the same measurement on the car after some time at idle at , what 22 deg C its been around here today.
And yes, I do like your idea of adding a small amount of resistance externally to the coil. Anything that helps to keep electronic temperatures down while ensuring adequate spark is good.
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:05 am 
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Rob, Sorry I didn't answer your question directly. Yes, when I did that posting I did a quick hand-hot temperature measurement of my 12V unballasted ign coil after a trip back along the main road, also with the Lumenition Optronic ignition system in the middle of Winter when it was quite cold outside . Hence my estimation of "just hand hot coil temperature" .
Tomorrow I'll see if I can do the same measurement on the car after some time at idle at , what 22 deg C its been around here today.
And yes, I do like your idea of adding a small amount of resistance externally to the coil. Anything that helps to keep electronic temperatures down while ensuring adequate spark is good.
Tony.
Hi Tony

Thank you for your exhaustive analysis very impressed although got fairly lost lol! Howerver your reply here is a bit more a 'Janet and John' bit I can better cope with! Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:35 pm 

When I was having my problems the coils were getting well above hand hot, the car misfiring and cutting out and would not restart until the coil was cold. Once the coil was replaced the symptoms would go away for a short while then the miss fire at 50/55 return, then the coil failure symptoms. Both ballasted and none ballasted coils (wired up with a non ballasted supply) were tried but the same symptoms returned. Once the Lumenition electronic ignition was removed the problems stopped so that I can only diagnose from that the problem was being caused by it.

Currently running with a Lumenition coil (which was supplied under warrantee and ran very hot with the electronic system) a ballast resistor and a new supply from the fuse box, to do away with the supposed ballast wire as we were not confident with it. This coil now gets hot, but never to a temperature that you cant hold your hand on it.

Marko, I wouldn't call Lumenition's cheap Chinese electronic devices, mine was about £100.00 to buy and I went for it because it wasn't a cheap one and came with a good reputation. People seem to have better experiences with the cheap ones than I did with this one.