The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
HI FOLKS,
OUT IN MY DOLLY 1850 LAST NIGHT AND WHEN I PUT MY HEADLIGHTS ON THE TEMP GAUGE GOES UP AND VOLTS GO DOWN :?
I HAVE SINCE FOUND THAT EVEN THE HRW OR THE HEATER BLOWER CAUSE THE SAME FAULT.
Hi Tony, I've been thinking about this particular fault over the past few days as its quite interesting electrically.
The curious bit is " TEMP GAUGE GOES UP AND VOLTS GO DOWN ":
Now a couple of things. The temperature gauge is earthed via the engine block via the temp; sender and the thick black wire ( on my 1850 ) down to the battery earth.
Now since you have been able to check charging voltages etc; can you put the ignition on and measure the voltage from the engine block at the sender down to the battery earth.
( Reason being is that if there is a high resistance in this circuit it will back bias the temp; gauge ) There will be extra voltage in the 0V to the temp; gauge circuit. )
This won't affect the fuel gauge as that is earthed to the bodywork at the back of the car.
But turn extra items on and there may be extra paths that the return currents will find.
Slight problem : I would have thought this would have given you starter motor problems.
What voltage do you measure please ?

And a 2nd check: I know many Dolomites have had their wiring modified over the years.
Do you still have the original style instrument voltage regulator nailed to the engine side of the bulkhead ?
If so does it have one green wire and one Light Green wire on it?
And do the fuel gauge and the temp; gauge also have a light green wire going to each of them ?

If so this is good and the next stage of checking is more complicated and involves the alternator.
O.K. while you are looking at the alternator does it have 2 thick brown wires or 1 thick and one thin wire.?
( The reason being that the voltage at the voltmeter can drop under high current but the voltage at the alternator can be higher )

Another question : How much does the temp; gauge rise by and how by much do the volts gauge drop with say dipped lights on ?
Let us know on this and I'll run through some more measurements.
HTH,
Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:03 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:
HI FOLKS,
OUT IN MY DOLLY 1850 LAST NIGHT AND WHEN I PUT MY HEADLIGHTS ON THE TEMP GAUGE GOES UP AND VOLTS GO DOWN :?
I HAVE SINCE FOUND THAT EVEN THE HRW OR THE HEATER BLOWER CAUSE THE SAME FAULT.
Hi Tony, I've been thinking about this particular fault over the past few days as its quite interesting electrically.
The curious bit is " TEMP GAUGE GOES UP AND VOLTS GO DOWN ":
Now a couple of things. The temperature gauge is earthed via the engine block via the temp; sender and the thick black wire ( on my 1850 ) down to the battery earth.
Now since you have been able to check charging voltages etc; can you put the ignition on and measure the voltage from the engine block at the sender down to the battery earth.
( Reason being is that if there is a high resistance in this circuit it will back bias the temp; gauge ) There will be extra voltage in the 0V to the temp; gauge circuit. )
This won't affect the fuel gauge as that is earthed to the bodywork at the back of the car.
But turn extra items on and there may be extra paths that the return currents will find.
Slight problem : I would have thought this would have given you starter motor problems.
What voltage do you measure please ?

And a 2nd check: I know many Dolomites have had their wiring modified over the years.
Do you still have the original style instrument voltage regulator nailed to the engine side of the bulkhead ?
If so does it have one green wire and one Light Green wire on it?
And do the fuel gauge and the temp; gauge also have a light green wire going to each of them ?

If so this is good and the next stage of checking is more complicated and involves the alternator.
O.K. while you are looking at the alternator does it have 2 thick brown wires or 1 thick and one thin wire.?
( The reason being that the voltage at the voltmeter can drop under high current but the voltage at the alternator can be higher )

Another question : How much does the temp; gauge rise by and how by much do the volts gauge drop with say dipped lights on ?
Let us know on this and I'll run through some more measurements.
HTH,
Tony.
hi tony,
thanks for that info :) i will do a bit of checking in the next couple of days and let you know.
it gives me something to look at.
just a note, the volt meter goes down to zero and the temp to about 3/4s
many thanks, tony :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 am 
TDC Member

Hi Tony, This is a good thought provoking fault. Good one.
Thanks for the info on the volts and temp gauges. O.K. so we are looking at big changes here then. This is also good.
First of all I wonder if you could dive in and have a look at 4 things please; all in the same area.
( Electrical explanation of why follows ).
* Now if your 1850 is the same as mine, its battery out; air filter off and can you clean / inspect the thick earth cable that goes to the front engine mounting please. ( Being at the front of the car it gets all sorts of crud on it ).
* While you are there its only a small step to removing the fan-belt, removing the alternator but unusually I wonder if you could clean the alternator mounting flanges please where the casing of the alternator contacts the timing chain case and block please.
( You may find the long through-bolt is loose and corrosion has built up here ).
* Then re-assemble ( and while you are at it it would be worth cleaning the alternator terminals )
* Then can you remove the thick earth cable that earths the battery to the bodywork and clean that please.

I also think you may have an early 1850 with the 17ACR alternator fitted with the circuit as on page 86-11 of the workshop manual ? There is the possibility of an internal earthing problem in the alternator but lets stick with the easy bits first.
1-Line Management problem summary: The car has a most unusual fault of the either the alternator not earthing down to the cylinder block properly or high resistance in the cable to chassis. Which is where the water temp sensor earths as well !
Let us know how it goes,
Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:30 pm 
TDC Member

As promised here is a sketch of how I see the problem.
Using the chassis earth as reference, the battery will be ~ 13.5 V above that. The case of the alternator will be ~ 300mV negative and the block approx 1.3 V negative assuming a 1V drop for illustration. This means there is 11.3V across the temp gauge rather than 10V so its reading increases. The fuel gauge reads O.K. as it is referenced to chassis earth. Bit surprised over why the car still starts O.K. though.

Attachments:
Dolomite charging system.png
Dolomite charging system.png [ 6.04 KiB | Viewed 1153 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:25 pm 

hi tony,
thanks for the sketch. i have noted some things.
1 removed alt and cleaned mtgs, large bolt was slightly loose.
2 on the back of alt is 2 plugs, 1 with large solid brown wire, the other a 3pin with 1thin solid brown and 2 others with brown with yellow trace.
3 volt stab has 1 light green and 2 dark green on the other side.
4 temp gauge has 1 light green and 1 blue.
5 volt meter has 1 white and 1 black.

i have removed and cleaned all the earths, none were dirty.
i have no starting probs and after not using for a long period turns over happily untill the fuel gets through.
voltage at the temp sensor was an average of 7.5 volts, but it was wavering around a bit? it was the same at 1 side of the volt stab and 12.5 at the other side and was constant.
alt was charging at 14.8 volts at the battery and the plug even when everything was on.
after doing all the cleaning bloody thing was still the same :(
i hope this gives you a bit more info :?: also is it possible to wire the temp guage up seperate from the loom :?:
i am useless at electrics and an ohm to me is where i live :lol: this is even after having my own garage for 30+ years.
cheers for now, i will let you think it over.
many thanks, tony.
ps, forgot to mention my car is an early one with only 26k on the clock and no mods to electrics apart from a kenlow fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:35 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Tony,
Thanks for that.
Taking each bit in turn :
Those are good voltage measurements; exactly what I would be looking for at the battery ( 14.8V ) and the alternator with the load on. It proves the alternator is actually O.K. It's bit on the high side ( 14.4 V max; ) but lets go with it.
So I think we are looking at connection problems.
Now congratulations on owning a very early 1850. Especially with only 26,000 miles on the clock. I wonder if the chassis number is below 10,000 ?
Now slight problem. It is such an early model that the alternator you have is a Lucas 15ACR . I only found this listed in an early 1850 parts book. As such the connections are rather different to later 1850's / Sprints.

(2) The 2 yellow / brown wires should go to the IGN light and one goes to the internal field winding connection. This looks O.K. as the IGN light is going out and the alternator is working O.K.
The thin brown wire looks O.K. as its regulating.
The thick brown wire is O.K. as this is the main high current output.
Where is starts to get a bit confusing is the high current 0V return. ( Not on your connector).
The Sprint manual is no use on this.
But the Haynes manual shows a 2nd connection by the main high current brown wire going to earth on a mounting bolt for testing. Normally this is done via the casing.
The only other reference to the 15ACR alternator I could find was in the MGB Haynes manual where one ( 1969 /70 ) is shown with the connection and one is shown with the casing as earth.

So … one question for early 1850 owners on here please .
Do you have a thick earth lead from the back of the alternator please ? If you have the 15ACR unit fitted that is.
James / Kyle / Bruce for instance please ?
Thank you. I think for now we have to assume its probably O.K. as the alternator is basically working.

Now to wire colours :
(4) The blue wire out from the temp; gauge is unusual. Blue is normally for lighting. Is it possible this is a green wire / blue tracer ? Is the wire at the temp; sender also Green / blue tracer ?
If so the wiring here is O.K.

(3) The Green / light green connections to the voltage stabiliser sound O.K.
The 12.5V on the stabiliser input sounds a bit low since you have 14.8V on the battery but it should still regulate O.K.
The "7.5 V " output measurement may look odd but in fact this can only be measured with a True RMS meter. The fact that you have voltage and its moving up & down proves at least its doing something. The reason is that you probably have the original type of bi-metallic vibrating thermal stabiliser.

Yes, it is possible to connect the temperature gauge separately. You'll need a new temperature stabiliser. If its a modern electronic one the casing will need earthing. The input can be run with a new wire to the green wire side of the fuse box and the output side can we wired to where the temp; gauge light green wire was.

White and black wires on the voltmeter are correct.
As a further check, when the volts gauge hits the left hand end stop what is the voltage across the voltmeter please under full load and how does that compare with the voltage across the battery ?
Sorry about the length of this.
I hope I answered all the questions.
Cheers for now,
Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 pm 

Quote:
Hi Tony,
Thanks for that.
Taking each bit in turn :
Those are good voltage measurements; exactly what I would be looking for at the battery ( 14.8V ) and the alternator with the load on. It proves the alternator is actually O.K. It's bit on the high side ( 14.4 V max; ) but lets go with it.
So I think we are looking at connection problems.
Now congratulations on owning a very early 1850. Especially with only 26,000 miles on the clock. I wonder if the chassis number is below 10,000 ?
Now slight problem. It is such an early model that the alternator you have is a Lucas 15ACR . I only found this listed in an early 1850 parts book. As such the connections are rather different to later 1850's / Sprints.

(2) The 2 yellow / brown wires should go to the IGN light and one goes to the internal field winding connection. This looks O.K. as the IGN light is going out and the alternator is working O.K.
The thin brown wire looks O.K. as its regulating.
The thick brown wire is O.K. as this is the main high current output.
Where is starts to get a bit confusing is the high current 0V return. ( Not on your connector).
The Sprint manual is no use on this.
But the Haynes manual shows a 2nd connection by the main high current brown wire going to earth on a mounting bolt for testing. Normally this is done via the casing.
The only other reference to the 15ACR alternator I could find was in the MGB Haynes manual where one ( 1969 /70 ) is shown with the connection and one is shown with the casing as earth.

So … one question for early 1850 owners on here please .
Do you have a thick earth lead from the back of the alternator please ? If you have the 15ACR unit fitted that is.
James / Kyle / Bruce for instance please ?
Thank you. I think for now we have to assume its probably O.K. as the alternator is basically working.

Now to wire colours :
(4) The blue wire out from the temp; gauge is unusual. Blue is normally for lighting. Is it possible this is a green wire / blue tracer ? Is the wire at the temp; sender also Green / blue tracer ?
If so the wiring here is O.K.

(3) The Green / light green connections to the voltage stabiliser sound O.K.
The 12.5V on the stabiliser input sounds a bit low since you have 14.8V on the battery but it should still regulate O.K.
The "7.5 V " output measurement may look odd but in fact this can only be measured with a True RMS meter. The fact that you have voltage and its moving up & down proves at least its doing something. The reason is that you probably have the original type of bi-metallic vibrating thermal stabiliser.

Yes, it is possible to connect the temperature gauge separately. You'll need a new temperature stabiliser. If its a modern electronic one the casing will need earthing. The input can be run with a new wire to the green wire side of the fuse box and the output side can we wired to where the temp; gauge light green wire was.

White and black wires on the voltmeter are correct.
As a further check, when the volts gauge hits the left hand end stop what is the voltage across the voltmeter please under full load and how does that compare with the voltage across the battery ?
Sorry about the length of this.
I hope I answered all the questions.
Cheers for now,
Tony.
hi tony, i will take the dash out again tomorrow and check what you asked :) at this rate i will only have to whistle and the dash will jump out :lol:
thanks again for your help, tony.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:30 pm 

hi tony, dash out again, and temp gauge wire is blue with a green trace that i did not see :(
voltage at the temp gauge is around 10 volts although the engine is cold.
the volts at the volt meter are 10.5, whereas at the battery its over 12volts.
when i put the lights and hrw on it drops to 7.5 volts, but remains over 12v at the battery :?:
the chassis no is wf10502dla. first registered september 1972.
cheers for now,
tony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:53 pm 
Hi,
I think myself and other members of the club met you at Capesthorne last Sunday when you posed this question of falling voltmeter voltage and rising temperature gauge to us.
At the time we noted that you had checked and cleaned all earths and other contacts.
Eric Noble,our Guru,has been speaking to me on the phone this evening and has come up with what we think is a likely cause of your problems.

On your car which is an early one the alternator is likely to be a 15ACR.
These alternators have very poor regulation as the load is increased on it say headlights,heated rear window etc. ie the output of these units will not sustain a good charging voltage when the load is high.
Therefore the voltmeter will indicate,quite rightly,a noticeable fall in voltage. Say 11.5 - 12 for example when there is a large load is on it. So it is working correctly. Precise accuracy is not its strong point.

The problem with the temperature gauge is we believe due to the voltage being supplied to it from the regulator.
The regulator is basically a bi metallic strip with wire wrapped round it as a heating element.
The bi metallic strip is arranged so it vibrates,opening and closing contacts, providing a chopped voltage which eventually feeds the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge.
Normally the regulator provides a chopped voltage of around 10 - 10.5 volts.
If the input to the regulator falls sufficiently the bi metallic strip fails to vibrate sufficiently and the output voltage is not chopped sufficiently and consequently rises,possibly to the level of the input voltage.
This rise in voltage causes the temperature gauge reading to increase.
Although you might not have noticed I suspect the fuel gauge is reading a bit higher than normal when the alternator voltage falls.
You could check the operation of the regulator with an oscilloscope or maybe an analogue meter. Digital meters are no use in this instance.
If a solid state regulator is fitted this effect will not happen. I would suggest you get one from the club they work well.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:18 pm 

Quote:
Hi,
I think myself and other members of the club met you at Capesthorne last Sunday when you posed this question of falling voltmeter voltage and rising temperature gauge to us.
At the time we noted that you had checked and cleaned all earths and other contacts.
Eric Noble,our Guru,has been speaking to me on the phone this evening and has come up with what we think is a likely cause of your problems.

On your car which is an early one the alternator is likely to be a 15ACR.
These alternators have very poor regulation as the load is increased on it say headlights,heated rear window etc. ie the output of these units will not sustain a good charging voltage when the load is high.
Therefore the voltmeter will indicate,quite rightly,a noticeable fall in voltage. Say 11.5 - 12 for example when there is a large load is on it. So it is working correctly. Precise accuracy is not its strong point.

The problem with the temperature gauge is we believe due to the voltage being supplied to it from the regulator.
The regulator is basically a bi metallic strip with wire wrapped round it as a heating element.
The bi metallic strip is arranged so it vibrates,opening and closing contacts, providing a chopped voltage which eventually feeds the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge.
Normally the regulator provides a chopped voltage of around 10 - 10.5 volts.
If the input to the regulator falls sufficiently the bi metallic strip fails to vibrate sufficiently and the output voltage is not chopped sufficiently and consequently rises,possibly to the level of the input voltage.
This rise in voltage causes the temperature gauge reading to increase.
Although you might not have noticed I suspect the fuel gauge is reading a bit higher than normal when the alternator voltage falls.
You could check the operation of the regulator with an oscilloscope or maybe an analogue meter. Digital meters are no use in this instance.
If a solid state regulator is fitted this effect will not happen. I would suggest you get one from the club they work well.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Paul
hi paul, it was me at capethorne, and thanks for making me so welcome :D :D
i have been using a "snap on" analogue meter as i dont know how to use a digital multi meter :(
would you still think the regulator is the problem :?:
thanks for your help,
tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:21 pm 
Hi Tony,
Just a quick thought by snap on you mean the manufacturer not a clip on type ammeter.

I had a quick check on my Dolly earlier which has the later ACR 17 alternator. The ACR 15 has 2 connections on the back and the ACR 17 has one plug. I think the 15 has an output of 28 amps and the 17 about 35amps if my memory is correct. The 17 has better regulation of voltage with load than the 15.

Now for a test.
My battery is fairly new and good.
At just over tick over,with nothing switched on,the voltmeter in the car shows about 13.5 volts. The temperature gauge when the engine is hot is between 1/4 and 1/2.
At just over tick over again but with everything on headlights,heated window,heater etc the voltmeter falls to about 11 volts.
Unfortunately because I have the solid state voltage regulator there is no change in the temperature gauge so I cannot comment as to what the reading would be with the bi metallic regulator but I suspect it would be starting to rise.
I will send you a personal message and we could possibly continue over the phone.
Regards
Paul