The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:45 pm 
These seem a little restrictive to fuel flow. Even when new if you blow through them there is a lot.of flow resistance. With the relative low pressure on our mechanical fuel pumps I believe these to be a possible problem re fuel starvation. I have today replaced mine with a little glass and chrome filter bought from the bay, which seems more free flowing.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of issue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

there will be resistance untill wet with fuel.
i have used the plastic ones available from motor factors without having any problem :)
cheap and disposable when they get dirty.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 pm 
TDC Member

I'm familiar with 2 versions of this. Both plastic with push-on hose connections and fuel clips.
One is about 1 in in diameter and the other is about 1 3/4 in dia. I always go for the larger diameter one as there will be less pressure drop across it and the element will absorb more muck before clogging up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:36 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
I'm familiar with 2 versions of this. Both plastic with push-on hose connections and fuel clips.
One is about 1 in in diameter and the other is about 1 3/4 in dia. I always go for the larger diameter one as there will be less pressure drop across it and the element will absorb more muck before clogging up.
sorry, i should have mentioned always go for the larger one :wink:
the small ones are for lawn mowers and such like.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:18 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

They are not designed to have fuel pushed through them you should put them between the tank and pump not after the pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:19 pm 

My Sprint suffered chronic heat vaporization last year, so I took my in-line filter off and all has been good since.

It never used to show much fuel in the filter while running, and one very hot day last year while keeping up with the traffic in the fast lane it cut out!

I let it cool down a tad, then drove it with the bonnet "popped" and although it hesitated a few times over the next sixty miles it never cut out at all.

When home, I took off the filter and binned it. I just rely on the actual fuel pump filter now..it's been behaving very well so far in all temperatures.

Now, if this means that my fuel pump is getting weak..I don't know, but when I do, I'll let you know.

I carry a new spare pump in the boot for when and if the pump dies.. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:07 pm 
Quote:
My Sprint suffered chronic heat vaporization last year, so I took my in-line filter off and all has been good since.

It never used to show much fuel in the filter while running, and one very hot day last year while keeping up with the traffic in the fast lane it cut out!

I let it cool down a tad, then drove it with the bonnet "popped" and although it hesitated a few times over the next sixty miles it never cut out at all.

When home, I took off the filter and binned it. I just rely on the actual fuel pump filter now..it's been behaving very well so far in all temperatures.

Now, if this means that my fuel pump is getting weak..I don't know, but when I do, I'll let you know.

This is similar to what I found had the filter between Tank amd Pump it was practically empty most of the time while running. Found a little chrome ended glass one now and it seems much better plus it can be removed and flushed. Marked improvement at idle amd through rev range compared to the Halfords one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:10 pm 
Quote:
Quote:

This is similar to what I found had the filter between Tank amd Pump it was practically empty most of the time while running. Found a little chrome ended glass one now and it seems much better plus it can be removed and flushed. Marked improvement at idle amd through rev range compared to the Halfords one.

This is what I have fitted now

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 pm 

Nice one, quite a good looking unit. I'm glad the new filter is working for you..I might well get one myself soon too. :)