The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 pm 
Can someone kindly confirm the offset dimension from the outside face of a rear wheel bearing and the end of the threaded section of the half shaft? Having taken both my half shafts off and done a quick check on the installed bearings one measures about 74mm and the other 75.5mm! The Haynes manual suggests 72.136mm so mine are way off. Also is the offset so critical that I have to achieve something within 100th of a millimetre?

One bearing is running smooth so I intend to leave it (apart from adjusting its position if necessary and repacking with grease) but I need to replace the other as it feels rough when you spin the outer race.

Many thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:57 pm 
TDC Member

Tricky ! With the hub and backplate removed it is easy, but it is possible to to the measurement in 3 sections with the half-shaft assembly off the car; with callipers and a straight edge. Here is one I removed earlier.
Front face of hub to the flat front of the back-plate = 43.08mm
Front face of backplate to rear face of shim = front of wheel bearing = 5.68mm ( through a bolt-hole ).
Front face of hub to end of half shaft threads = 27.43 mm

Total = 76.19 mm.
HTH,
Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

The offset is important. Best is to replace both. The distance mentioned in the manuals when replacing is not the actual distance after fitting. When tightening the hub the hub touches the bearing and the then the halfshaft is pulled through the bearing when tightening the nut. This way the hub lies alway's against the bearing face. When your bearings are fitted the wrong way then there can be a certain distance between the hub and bearing face. Then the hub/brakedrum is further away from the backplate causing brake trouble and a wrong bearing load.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:55 pm 
Many thanks chaps, much appreciated.