The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:15 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

another water pump is leaking after 4 years. does anyone supply a good quality pump? is it possible to rebuild the pump, re-bush and then re-seal them? I can make any sleeves, liners etc in the workshop of a friend.
thanks for any upcoming thoughts,
mark.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 am 

You have to suspect the seal quality. I had one to bits once - it all comes apart fairly easily with the right pullers and/or a vice.

Once you have it apart you can see whats needed in terms of bearings and seals and maybe source a seal from Fitchetts?

On MGB's etc water pump life was a function of how tight the fan belt was - usually too tight. On Spits or dolly 1500's you need to be a
bit more of a gorilla to overtighten them. The one inch sideways movement on the longest belt run is your guide.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:43 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

On MGB's etc water pump life was a function of how tight the fan belt was - usually too tight. On Spits or dolly 1500's you need to be a bit more of a gorilla to overtighten them. The one inch sideways movement on the longest belt run is your guide.

Jonners
The same for the alternator too, as long as the belt doesn't squeal when under load you should be ok.

I used to work in a factory where we made small industrial diesel engines, the guy on the end of the line would always use a crow bar under the dynamo/alternator to tighten the belt, I am guessing the those bearings didn't last long.