The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:53 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

So, last show I attended I was a reverse light down so bought some bulbs and were OK again. Now 3 weeks later no reverse lights at all. Guessing it maybe the inhibitor switch which for some reason has all the wires soldered onto the spades? Car doesn't like starting in park and never has in my ownership but does if you persuade it! Goes through the gears as it should and selects reverse as it always has, anyone have any idea as to what maybe going on as electrics are not my greatest attribute! Did have a spare inhibitor on an sprint auto box but 2 of the spades came adrift when I tried to remove it this afternoon.
Cheers Rich..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 pm 
TDC Member

My sprint auto is the same, doesnt start in PARK but it used to before I took the box out, it does start in Neutral every time. in my case it is gear selector adjustment.

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:53 pm 
Rich

See if you get 12v on both back terminals of the inhibitor switch when in reverse.

There is a connector to the switch above the gearbox on my 1850 so you can disconnect the whole thing and check it out.

I had the same problem with not starting in park, a couple of turns on the connecting rod sorted it out.

I think some problems with the switch are caused by heat from the exhaust.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:47 am 
TDC Member

Assuming the obvious and it isn't both bulbs blown, then the inhibitor switch will be the problem. When I installed my auto box I had to take that switch apart and sort out the connections as some were corroded. Very fiddly but I managed to get it back together again and it's been fine for five years or so since.

Not starting in park is simply as Alan says, adjustment of the connecting rod.

And I am so jealous Rich, a spare Sprint auto box!! I had to make do with an 1850 auto on my Mimosa Sprint as no Sprint ones in NZ. However, with a transmission cooler fitted it seems to work just fine. Still having issues with the carb / choke setup and auto take off - so reminds me to start a thread on that..........

Geoff