The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello again!

Need to set up my engine steady bar. The bracket that sits on the chassis leg under the subframe bolt, should this sit evenly and symmetrically in the chassis legs cut out, or do they sit wonky in line with the engine.

Also, is it correct the engine oil pump sits incredibly close to the racks mounting bracket ie can't get a finger in the gap....engine mount rubbers are new and I'm assuming fit either way round, with the brackets with the cut out upwards. Laying under the car I noticed this gap is very tight.

Chris.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 am 
I've just done the exact same job at the same time replacing the rack.

yes the U clamps are stupidly close to the oil pump - try getting one out!

Yes the steady bracket looks at an angle on the 'chassis leg' but parallel to the engine

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 pm 

Quote:
I've just done the exact same job at the same time replacing the rack.

yes the U clamps are stupidly close to the oil pump - try getting one out!

Yes the steady bracket looks at an angle on the 'chassis leg' but parallel to the engine

Hope this helps
Great, thanks for the info, so it would appear that the oil pump is extremely close to the rack.
This weekend I'll be tackling the steady bar, good to know the bracket sits crooked on the chassis.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:19 am 
TDC Member

There should be at least a finger width gap between the oil pump and rack otherwise the pump will make contact and can wear through the pump body. This is usually down to the engine mounts. If they are new are they genuine stock? Examine the offside one to see if there is any offset on the bolts positions and then refit to give maximum engine lift. I have had to change mine quite often as the recent mounts I have purchased have suffered very rapid sagging and even de-bonding of the rubber and my regular check is that if I cannot get my finger in between pump and rack the mount gets changed regardless of how old it is.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:56 pm 

Quote:
There should be at least a finger width gap between the oil pump and rack otherwise the pump will make contact and can wear through the pump body. This is usually down to the engine mounts. If they are new are they genuine stock? Examine the offside one to see if there is any offset on the bolts positions and then refit to give maximum engine lift. I have had to change mine quite often as the recent mounts I have purchased have suffered very rapid sagging and even de-bonding of the rubber and my regular check is that if I cannot get my finger in between pump and rack the mount gets changed regardless of how old it is.
I'd say I can't get a finger through the gap. The mounts are new, but about 10 years old. I did notice the studs/bolt holes didn't line up with the mount off so I put them on thinking one way round would be lower than the other, so the higher position, not sure it matters as there's nothing in the workshop manual dictating which way round they go. The studs didn't quite line up so had to elongate the bracket holes. I just hate pattern parts!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I'd say I can't get a finger through the gap. The mounts are new, but about 10 years old. I did notice the studs/bolt holes didn't line up with the mount off so I put them on thinking one way round would be lower than the other, so the higher position, not sure it matters as there's nothing in the workshop manual dictating which way round they go. The studs didn't quite line up so had to elongate the bracket holes. I just hate pattern parts!!
I had a similar problem, but was able to force them in with a long screwdriver. You're right, the mounts don't seem to line up. I had one NOS mount and one new. The trick seems to be to do the nearside first, I had to take the exhaust manifold off to get at it.

Then you can force the offside in. I did have the advantage of an engine crane, which allowed me to lift the engine with some degree of control, but it was still a massive pain to get them to fit.

Not sure you shouldn't adjust the mounting holes, with the clearance being so tight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had a similar problem, but was able to force them in with a long screwdriver. You're right, the mounts don't seem to line up. I had one NOS mount and one new. The trick seems to be to do the nearside first, I had to take the exhaust manifold off to get at it.

Then you can force the offside in. I did have the advantage of an engine crane, which allowed me to lift the engine with some degree of control, but it was still a massive pain to get them to fit.

Not sure you shouldn't adjust the mounting holes, with the clearance being so tight.
It was only a mm or so I had to elongate but not height wise. Main aim at the moment is to get it running, on the road then look at any of these sort of issues. Yes, the mounts look a complete pain to change in situ. It was bad enough trying to get the engine in.