The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:25 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Hello Clive, Welcome!

Have a look at James's restoration thread for RUK, he had similar tank issues and successfully dealt with it at home, it starts partway down this page:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32242&start=45

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:34 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Clive, yes welcome to the forum :)
If you dont get any luck using the bilt hamber stuff?
I do know of a chap who makes fuel tanks out of aluminium, but only to a pattern, ie "old tank"
I know he made one for a friend (not a dolomite) and he made an excellent job, even to the right threads for the sender unit.
Cheers, Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:45 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi Clive,
Welcome.
I have had exactly the same issue with my 1300 fwd. I managed to get it 62 miles towards home before it cut and I came home on the back of a recovery truck. Blowing back down the fuel line sorted the problem temporarily, but I intend using a Bilt Hamber kit over the winter (once I have sorted out all of the other issues!).
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:41 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

I once used a tank sealer product in my tank. Despite being careful to prepare the tank it ended up failing and it flaked off blocking the lines. I ended up swapping out to another tank. I have used a new tank in my car now, though if and when it rusts out I think I'd get one made. It's not original but it's hidden so who cares. There's so few decent used tanks around now that this might be the only way to go.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 pm 
TDC Member

I haven't got round to checking the tank on my rebuild yet, but if it's dodgy there are a couple of metal fabricators near me who are willing to copy items, so I would try them for making a replica. There must be similar folk near you. Try googling for metal fabricators or blacksmiths in your area.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:40 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The Club delivered patterns of the three types of tank our cars use to Alicool about 6 months ago...but they've been a little slow at coming back with prices. Conversations so far have revolved around rationalising the shapes for ease of construction...meaning the volumes will be smaller, and postulating incorporating modern in tank pumps. If anyone has a specific tank maker contact, we'll be more than happy to talk in tandem...

We have the same old problem that we have with panels; the OE tanks relied on a couple of pressings each which we cannot economically reproduce in the numbers that demand will allow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am 

Quote:
The Club delivered patterns of the three types of tank our cars use to Alicool about 6 months ago...but they've been a little slow at coming back with prices. Conversations so far have revolved around rationalising the shapes for ease of construction...meaning the volumes will be smaller, and postulating incorporating modern in tank pumps. If anyone has a specific tank maker contact, we'll be more than happy to talk in tandem...

We have the same old problem that we have with panels; the OE tanks relied on a couple of pressings each which we cannot economically reproduce in the numbers that demand will allow.
Good to hear, I was about to ring Alicool to see if they could do me a tank.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:48 pm 
Had a similar problem with my Toledo - the original tank had rotted out, the previous owners had sourced a rusty (leaking) but repairable tank, and fitted a temporary smaller plastic tank for the time being.

The steel (OEM) tank had been empty for a while and well ventilated, so we felt happy (enough) welding it. Cut out the rusted bottom, dressed the steel back and made a new repair plate, welded it in (about 1/4" overlap all round). The overall shape is very close to the original though the pickup pipe is not a trifle shorter and has lost the in-tank support.

I then painted it - with several coats on the bottom! - and a 2-pack epoxy lining treatment inside. A couple of hundred miles in, no sign of leakage.

Good luck with yours. Is it worth thinking about welding? If it's been empty enough to get rid of all the petrol vapour, it's (fairly!) safe to weld. I still have my eyebrows...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:06 pm 
TDC Member

If it works and lasts, £200 isn't so bad. Keep us updated over the next few weeks, months, years. :)