The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:37 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

A long time ago I lent my propshaft to a 'friend' to never see it again, I sourced a replacement, but didn't have the centre bearing mounting brackets, these are still on my original prop.

Does the centre bearing fixings sit on top or below the brackets? Either way I just can't seem to make the offside one fit, depending which way round you mount it either the bearing captivated fixing or the bolt head hits the floor....

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 am 
TDC Member

Look at the attachment which Galileo links to in the last post on this thread - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32872.

There is an interesting section on how the propshaft bracket is mounted. The Sprint set up is probably not what you would expect.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:09 am 

Quote:
Look at the attachment which Galileo links to in the last post on this thread - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32872.

There is an interesting section on how the propshaft bracket is mounted. The Sprint set up is probably not what you would expect.
Hi, thanks for the link, I've had a look but all I can see is an article about radius rods....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:02 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The link in the last post on the thread about radius rods shows the various arrangements for the centre mounting; some were above the brackets, some had one above and one below!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:28 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

Hi, thanks for the link, I've had a look but all I can see is an article about radius rods....
Galileo's attachment downloads as a 5 page pdf. Look for the section headed "47. PROPELLOR SHAFT CENTRE BEARING HOUSING INSTALLATION : DOLOMITE AND SPRINT" towards the foot of page 2.

According to this paper the correct fixing for a manual Sprint is Application B (on page 3). It results in something quite unintuitive. If your bracket is mounted like this and you are trying to remove it, you will undo the nut on the top of the LH (N/S) bracket and the nut on the bottom of the RH (O/S) bracket. The N/S of the propshaft bracket will fall down but the O/S will remain in place. If you do not know this set up, I reckon it would take some time to work out that the O/S fixing bolt is threaded down through the weld nut on the top of the bracket. I suspect I would have resorted to a hacksaw long before working that out.

Having said that, when I recently removed the propshaft on my Sprint, it was mounted per Application A. Whether or not that is how it came out of the factory is hard to say.

Looks like you may need the spacers (WM0809) referred to in Application C for auto Sprints?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:27 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Galileo's attachment downloads as a 5 page pdf. Look for the section headed "47. PROPELLOR SHAFT CENTRE BEARING HOUSING INSTALLATION : DOLOMITE AND SPRINT" towards the foot of page 2.

According to this paper the correct fixing for a manual Sprint is Application B (on page 3). It results in something quite unintuitive. If your bracket is mounted like this and you are trying to remove it, you will undo the nut on the top of the LH (N/S) bracket and the nut on the bottom of the RH (O/S) bracket. The N/S of the propshaft bracket will fall down but the O/S will remain in place. If you do not know this set up, I reckon it would take some time to work out that the O/S fixing bolt is threaded down through the weld nut on the top of the bracket. I suspect I would have resorted to a hacksaw long before working that out.

Having said that, when I recently removed the propshaft on my Sprint, it was mounted per Application A. Whether or not that is how it came out of the factory is hard to say.

Looks like you may need the spacers (WM0809) referred to in Application C for auto Sprints?
Ok, found the link, I clicked the wrong one!
Very interesting! Who would have guessed that.
I have fitted two spacers between the offside bracket and floor, bearing mounted below brackets.
Looks ok, but will have a proper look at work when I eventually get it on the ramp!
Cheers for all the help!
Chris.