The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Coolant for Sprint.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:41 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Recently speaking to the engineer that did all the machining on my engine we discussed antifreeze.
Being in the trade myself and working on Peugeot/Citroen, I've noticed that just about all cars reach three years old and the coolant resembles the colour of larger! Apart from the 107/C1, this uses the three cylinder Toyota engine, and has pink coolant ( Citroen is blue ) and no matter how old the vehicle it never discolours - ever!

So, the engineer chap said he uses Toyota pink extra long life antifreeze ( don't mistake Toyota red as this is long life ). Apparently it's in the vehicle for life ( was called for life coolant ) and never turns acidic and will never attack aluminium.

Originally I was going to use Evans waterless but as I've found out it's highly flammable and banned on race tracks?? - I may stand corrected on this. And expensive I thought I'd try the Toyota one unless anyone can suggest reasons not to. I think it's glycol based....

Welcome any opinions on this.

Post subject: Re: Coolant for Sprint.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:05 pm 
TDC Member

If it's not glycol based, don't use it is the only advice I can give.

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:36 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Big can of worms opened here!

Firstly Yes, Evans is not allowed on competitive race tracks but because it's extremely slippery when it leaks out everywhere. A McLaren sprung a leak a few weeks ago at Nürburgring and it closed the track after there were multiple accidents, this was a road car I should point out.

You'll find that most Japanese manufacturers specify a non-silicate formula coolant/anti freeze for their older cars but this is usually ethylene glycol based. Silicate free formula is kinder on water pumps and hoses they found years back, I think it also has something to do with their water. More modern cars including Japanese cars tend to use a type of coolant based on Organic Acid technology or Hybrid Organic Acid technology (OAT and HOAT). OAT should not be used on older cars like Dolomite's, it's debatable whether HOAT which is usually glycol based can be. Personally I have used HOAT with no problems and on dismantling an engine which had run it for 5 years and sat for another 3 I found no ill effects, others may disagree.

The world of antifreeze/coolant is a minefield. The colour should not be taken as a guide to content/suitability. Far better to either stick in some 'Bluecol' type or if you want to experiment then look very closely at the ingredients on the datasheet.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:37 pm 

I second what Bruce has said. Even though the head on a Sprint is aluminium alloy, the block is cast iron so it will need a glycol based antifreeze.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post subject: Okay.......
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:24 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Originally I was going to use Evans waterless but as I've found out it's highly flammable and banned on race tracks?? - I may stand corrected on this.
It is the antifreeze component that is flammable.
Therefore for racing purposes, Evans produce a version without the antifreeze.

If you decide to use Evans coolant,
for a road going Sprint (or any Dolomite in fact) the version to use is Powercool 180,
not the classic or vintage types.
This is what I use myself. I was swayed by looking at who specifies it for their vehicles.

Ian.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:56 pm 
TDC Member

For years I have used 4-Life coolant in my V8 MGB which as you know is an aluminium engine. 4-Life is very long lasting (it's been in my car for 8 years and 31000 miles, and is still clean) and it has an indicator in it so if the red colour goes yellow, your system has become acidic. It is claimed to be safe for all metals and has a boiling point of 180C. It is not a waterless coolant, but I have never found out what the formulation is. You can buy it from Demon Tweeks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 pm 

A friend of mine has a late Yaris, this is what the book says.
So if this extra long life coolant is glycol and silicate free it should be ok in a Dolly? The Toyota engine is ally and iron liners....think I'll give it a try unless anyone else spots something I'm not seeing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:12 pm 
TDC Member

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32823&hilit=morris

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:23 pm 

The Glycol based coolant has served our cars well for over 40 years. I can see no justification to use anything different, especially Evans, which costs a lot of money.

I know of a Stag which overheated with Evans with little warning and by the time the owner was aware there was a problem the engine was so hot than he burnt his hand on the cam cover.

Post subject: Ah yes.....
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:16 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I know of a Stag which overheated with Evans with little warning and by the time the owner was aware there was a problem the engine was so hot than he burnt his hand on the cam cover.
The thing is that that very scenario can and does occur with any coolant type in a Triumph V8 or slant four.

There is a warning about it in both the 1850 and the Sprint BL workshop manuals,
when the coolant level drops the temperature sensor will still read "normal" because it is being cooled by air flow.
This is a drawback of sighting the sensor so high up at the front of the engine.
(I have not seen a BL workshop manual for a Stag but presumably the same warning is printed there?)

Rather crudely you can keep the heater set to hot and periodically check it hasn't turned cold,
or you can avoid this occurrence by using a suitably positioned header tank that has a low level warning.

Ian.