The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Boot Board Trim thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:50 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Am I the only person who thinks the original boot boards in the Dolly boot are a bit low rent? I've been having a look at my boot this week and how I might trim it. My original boot boards are all rather tatty so will need replacing but they will make a good template for marking out where holes need to go as well as the general shape of the flat boards.

Was wondering whether to look at sticking with the mill board but covering them, perhaps in a thin cord carpet or some kind of flocked material. Thought it might look a bit nicer than the standard. I figure if I cut out some new boards, trim to fit and then cover then it might just work. I'll probably keep the hardura mat on the bottom, though again it would be quite easy to make a carpeted version.

Thoughts?

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:21 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks the original boot boards in the Dolly boot are a bit low rent? I've been having a look at my boot this week and how I might trim it. My original boot boards are all rather tatty so will need replacing but they will make a good template for marking out where holes need to go as well as the general shape of the flat boards.

Was wondering whether to look at sticking with the mill board but covering them, perhaps in a thin cord carpet or some kind of flocked material. Thought it might look a bit nicer than the standard. I figure if I cut out some new boards, trim to fit and then cover then it might just work. I'll probably keep the hardura mat on the bottom, though again it would be quite easy to make a carpeted version.

Thoughts?
There was car at the TDIC show that had covered his boot boards and boot with carpet,
looked very up market

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:01 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Mark

I recovered my boot side panels + back board with a modern version of millboard, thats what Martrim told me - same stuff that in the back of my octy Vrs estate, its got that furry effect - I bet its on the boot floor of your BM.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 pm 

That sounds like just the stuff I'm after I'll have to give them a call. I'm guessing you stuck this material on the boards or did you cut the whole material to shape?

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:54 pm 

Mark

Stuck the new stuff onto the original boards as its too thin on its own, buy some of their spray glue ooooh it good stuff. The new stuff in one of the containers outside the main building - take the BM as it a big sheet of material.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 am 

Excellent. Looking at their website I think the stuff is called van lining carpet. I see they have a variety of colours which look very much like the stuff in the boot of the modern. I think it will do the job nicely and make the boot a slightly nicer place to look at.

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:57 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
My original boot boards are all rather tatty so will need replacing but they will make a good template for marking out where holes need to go as well as the general shape of the flat boards.
I found the holes in the back board behind the seat did not line up very well with the holes in the metal work, sometimes the holes look like a sideways 8 where they have been opened out, if I was to re-make the panels I would consider making a template to get the holes in just the right place.

1973 Dolomite 1850 Automatic
1976 Dolomite 1300 (aka Lucky)