The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:57 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

No, torque sensitive. I did fit an opel one on a series 2a landrover last year. Cut the tube and fitted the pas in between. As the owner wanted the original steerringwheel fitted and last part of the tube sticking inside the interiour look original i had to dismantle the pas. The part where the steerring wheel is on is a tube what is inside another tube where the rack is to connected. There is a torque spring inside what the two connects. So when the steerring is actually very heavy at parking speed, the inside tube rotates inside the outer tube a lot when turning. By a variable resistor sensor the ecu knows it's heavy steerring now. When driving at speed the two tubes turn almost simultaniously so the sensor measures less difference in angle of the two tubes so less assistance. No myths about speed sensors. Just mechanical resistance of a big spring inside the column.

EZ powersteerring uses the same pas for their systems. They do make nice kits. As a starting company a few years ago they "lend" classic cars from the company I did work for at that time. So we saw a few prototypes and could give feed back.

A handy man can easily make a corsa one fit. It's not high tech. Just cut and weld and make some brackets. You can cut the pas column to make it fit and just turn the electric motor upwards behind the dash. A kit to adjust the assistance is is ready to buy for about 25 euro on ebay to simulate the opel signals to have the electronics working properly.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:16 pm 

Here some pics.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 pm 
TDC Member

Tony,
It is controlled by a torque sensor within the steering column. As you know under normal driving conditions the steering effort required is related to speed and EZ reckon this is the best system for the Sprint. They do do others but I took their recommendation and I'm not disappointed.
Alan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:08 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
No, the servo is a different matter as the braking forces are acting on the calipers. The electric motor will need something to act against. We have our body weight and automatically brace when turning the wheel, the electric motor will need strong brackets.

A friend installed one in his 6 cylinder spitfire. He reckoned it was a LOT of work. This was a decent engineer by trade (not cars, more design) and gets stuff right. But saying that, when I drove his car I really prefer one without PAS, but understand it has its uses. But just do not expect it to be cheap or easy.
Here are photos of the EZ kit that I fitted to my MGB GTV8. It has NO extra brackets, just the ordinary two hangers that the early MGB column hangs from. It is not fixed in any way to the bulkhead and this has never been an issue in many thousands of miles driving. There is no slackness or looseness in the column and in fact it feels just like it always did, but the steering is easier to turn. It was not difficult to fit if you are a handy mechanic. Just remove the upper column and install the EZ one. The motor sits behind the centre console on the MGB and you wouldn't know it was there at a casual glance. You do need a thick feed cable from a good power source - the fuse in the system is 40 amp so that shows that it can draw quite a lot of current, but only momentary of course. The only thing that takes a little getting used to is a slightly detached feeling to the steering, but I wouldn't want to be without it now.

Attachments:
EZ PAS Kit Labels.jpg
EZ PAS Kit Labels.jpg [ 150.67 KiB | Viewed 620 times ]