The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

ive got one under cover in the back garden bolt to a auto box
i got it about 13 years ago and its sat threre ever since
i dont know what condition it is in
i need to get a 1 1/2" socket to see if the crank will turn
i dont have my sprint anymore,so do i get it rebuilt or sell it as it is
I need to get some stuff done on my stag and i could do with a bit of cash but im not in any hurry
got loads of over dolly bits aswell,sorry about not getting back to people enquiring about them but not been on here much
thanks
gaz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:41 am 

Surprised nobody’s responded

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:00 am 

13 years outside in the garden there's not much left to turn with a socket I guess. Maybe when someone is desperate in need for an engine will pay some but don't expect hundreds of pounds.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:50 pm 

It’s been covered and still looks in good condition
Just the same as if it was in a car

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:21 pm 
TDC Member

How much would I pay for a Sprint engine of unknown mileage and condition that hasn't run for 13 years? Personally, that would be £100 if it came with all the ancillaries, £250 with the gearbox as well.

Edit: Sorry, I'm not in the market for one though!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:35 pm 

Engine was out of a motor college and is on a stand setup and apparently never been in a car,but I have nothing to prove this
I won’t let it go for £100 so I will proberbly hang on to it and sort it out at a later date
Thanks for your replies though
Gaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 am 
TDC Member

TBH i wouldnt pay 100 for one unless i pulled it to bits on the spot. Every one I have stripped needs work. Corrosion will have taken its toll and the bores may be unusable due to rust or acid etching that occurs when rings have sat in the same spot for years. 200 for a rebore plus christ knows what for pistons it gets expensive quickly. i do like them though honest :)

Cheers

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:21 am 

Quote:
Engine was out of a motor college and is on a stand setup and apparently never been in a car,but I have nothing to prove this
I won’t let it go for £100 so I will proberbly hang on to it and sort it out at a later date
Gaz
Then you are going to have to strip it and prove it isn't knackered. Otherwise buyers will simply assume the worst and walk away.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:00 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Gaz
Then you are going to have to strip it and prove it isn't knackered. Otherwise buyers will simply assume the worst and walk away.
how much is a fully rebuilt one worth then?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:16 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:

That depends on who rebuilt it and what was done to it; you really have asked a 'how long is a piece of string' question here Gary. I sank several thousands into the Quicksprint engine which was quickly undone by a low quality £10 component!

As a rough guide I'd say there were four categories:

1. A standing, non running, unknown engine: £100 tops if you find a customer. It's something someone would buy if it was close enough and they had somewhere to keep it. You see these frequently change hands on ebay for sums such as £62, £82 or if the seller is lucky £102! The less ancillaries included is what usually controls the lower sale prices.

2. An engine that can be seen and heard running, tested, but is proven to be in tired condition or needing attention: £100-£250 depending on the results of the test

3. An engine that can be seen and heard running, tested and can be proven to be in good order: £500 upwards

4. An engine which has been fully rebuilt and documented and carries a warranty from the builder would depend on what has needed to be done and what new parts it carries and to what specification. One bored out to +40 everywhere would maybe be less than one at +10, but you'd be looking at four figures as an absolute minimum for an engine without ancillaries.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:53 pm 
TDC Member

Can't disagree. But worth pointing out you will never get the money back from reconditioning an engine, unless you are very very lucky.

Many people would rather but a worn engine and have it reconditioned, so they knew exactly what had been done and maybe got some sort of warranty regarding workmanship.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:16 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

That depends on who rebuilt it and what was done to it; you really have asked a 'how long is a piece of string' question here Gary. I sank several thousands into the Quicksprint engine which was quickly undone by a low quality £10 component!

As a rough guide I'd say there were four categories:

1. A standing, non running, unknown engine: £100 tops if you find a customer. It's something someone would buy if it was close enough and they had somewhere to keep it. You see these frequently change hands on ebay for sums such as £62, £82 or if the seller is lucky £102! The less ancillaries included is what usually controls the lower sale prices.

2. An engine that can be seen and heard running, tested, but is proven to be in tired condition or needing attention: £100-£250 depending on the results of the test

3. An engine that can be seen and heard running, tested and can be proven to be in good order: £500 upwards

4. An engine which has been fully rebuilt and documented and carries a warranty from the builder would depend on what has needed to be done and what new parts it carries and to what specification. One bored out to +40 everywhere would maybe be less than one at +10, but you'd be looking at four figures as an absolute minimum for an engine without ancillaries.
Thats more like it
This reply is what forums are all about
Thanks Alun your a top man
now I can decide what to do with it
Gaz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
But worth pointing out you will never get the money back from reconditioning an engine, unless you are very very lucky.
I'd go so far to say you'll never get the costs back...unless you are the machine shop owner!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:26 am 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Dolom ... Swrk5ZeduQ

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:15 am 
TDC Member

Sold for £79 "head rebuilt less than 100 miles ago"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triumph-dolom ... SwBPVZjCsI

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3