The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Hi folks.
This evening I have been pondering on my rear shocks/dampers following recent discussion with my father in law Richard Old.

Looking at my various manuals, all of them (apart from Haynes) refer to the orientation of the end of the spring with the damper stem.

The official BL manual states ' The spring upper finishing tip should face rearward and at 90degrees to the damper eye bush' - I understand that.

Another BL manual states ' The finishing tip of the upper coil of the spring should be located away from the car (i.e nearest the wheel)

My other manual , states 'The extreme end of the spring (no mention of upper or lower) must be directly to the rear of the shock absorber mounting stem'

With that in mind, I looked at a spare pair of rear dampers/springs I have to see where the upper and lower end's line up with the damper eye bush. Only one unit displays a 'finishing tip' where the point is supposedly in the correct orientation (90 degrees to the bush) - however this is the lower tip and not the upper.

Does anyone have any experience of spring orientation and whether this really makes any difference to the characteristics of the car?

TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser.
TDC/TSSC group meeting - 3rd Tuesday of the month
The Duke at Clifton - OX15 0PE

1980 1500HL - OPD
1976 Sprint - SWU