The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: keeping car ticking over
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

As some may have seen i had my car on ebay as i have no time, i have taken a promotion at work and always busy, a long story short the winning bidder joined a few days previous and i dont expect to here anything from them.

Now my question is my car sits in my garage on the side of my house but i am worried that the body/chassis will deteriorate with the little use it gets and the little time i get to do the odd jobs, what are your experiences.

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:54 am 

Quote:
As some may have seen i had my car on ebay as i have no time, i have taken a promotion at work and always busy, a long story short the winning bidder joined a few days previous and i dont expect to here anything from them.

Now my question is my car sits in my garage on the side of my house but i am worried that the body/chassis will deteriorate with the little use it gets and the little time i get to do the odd jobs, what are your experiences.

Pete
As long as the garage is dry and you have cleaned the car before storing, you should be fine. Make sure you get rid of any salt that has been picked up on the road. Look behind the front mud guards, you will be amazed how much mud and other stuff can build up there. If it gets wet, it stays wet and can start eating things.

When I stored mine in a garage, when I had space, the body work held up far better than it did exposed to the weather. I would be more worried about the mechanicals seizing due to lack of use.

Leave the hand brake off, obviously chock it. If you can turn the engine over once in whiled that would be good. Oh and disconnect the battery to stop it draining.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:14 pm 

garage is dry and starting it up isn't a problem but i am worried about body work and chassis really, it is all solid and passed its MOT a couple of months ago. i was selling to possible purchase the green 1850HL on here, i need something that i can pamper and polish.

Pete