The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sprint Gearbox.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 pm 
Hello all. My Sprint gearbox makes a lot of noise when in neutral. When i dip the clutch the noise disappears, so it has to be the gearbox right ? I'm dissapointed about this as it is a recon unit and only covered approx 1000 miles, but was purchased many years ago. My recon rack is duff as well, we try to keep these cars on the road and this is what happens. :roll:

Post subject: Re: Sprint Gearbox.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm 
TDC Member

Are you sure its not the clutch bearing making the noise

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 pm 
TDC Member

Usually a dodgy clutch release bearing will make more noise when you dip the clutch. Sounds like it might be input shaft bearings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:33 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

It is very common for a 'dry' release bearing to make a spinning noise in neutral, but quietens when the clutch is dipped. I have fitted new old stock bearings and had this happen immediately.

I'd have to hear it to be sure, but if it is as suspected it's harmless. Annoying, but harmless. No point trying to change it, as the new one could do the same!

With regard steering racks, I have now passed 40 core racks for reconditioning and had 36 of them rejected as being unfit for guaranteed recondition due to excessive wear in the rack itself; the company I now use simply won't touch them as they are. The good news is I'm picking the 4 up tomorrow, along with one of the 36 that I've had done with a new rack bar; in effect, as close to a brand new rack as you'll get. Including postage to UK mainland addresses they will be £107.00 for the reconditioned and £177.00 with the new rack bar, both on an exchange basis.

You can still get 'reconditioned' racks from usual suppliers for less, £83 plus postage from one supplier, but with a £120 surcharge unless you provide them with a serviceable core unit. You pay your money and take your choice.

Last edited by xvivalve on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Some tips on box noises....

Noisy in neutral with clutch up could be clutch release or layshaft or input shaft or pilot bearing.

Whiney in driving in all but top gear means layshaft bearings - unusual on a Sprint but common on single rail.

Whiney in all gears and road speed related means mainshaft bearing.

Not an exclusive or exhaustive list by any means but may help diagnose this one.

Faults after just 1000 miles but long elapsed time - nothing specific comes to mind but bad new parts show up a lot quicker.
In my case Ive suffered from bad layshaft bearings on single rail boxes and a recent Sprint box I did apparently got a duff pilot bearing.

I hope for your sake its just the release bearing.

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 pm 
Thankyou for the replies. Jonners, when i take the box out, obviously i can feel if the release bearing if duff. But if i turn the gearbox by hand , can i tell if the mainshaft bearing is duff ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 pm 
TDC Member

If you take the oil drain plug out this can give you a good indication as to the health of the gearbox as the plug is magnetic and will have collected any swarf from defective bearing etc.