The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:32 pm 
TDC Member

A couple of quick queries. I have been cleaning up the carbs and have had the jets out to free them up - they were stuck after their 26 year lay up. I have replaced the waxstat with two penny coins as recommended all over the place. With the jet nicely assembled and free to move I find that when wound right up to the top, the jet is still nearly 1/4 inch below the level of the bridge. Is that OK? My experience on earlier SUs is that the jet could be brought up level with the bridge, but maybe its different with these later instruments.

The other thing is this. Should I be removing the poppet valve in the throttle butterfly and soldering up the hole? They seem to work alright, in that the springs aren't weak and they are properly closed. Opinions please, or better still practical experience.

Thanks as always.

Attachments:
DSCN3808.JPG
DSCN3808.JPG [ 98.55 KiB | Viewed 1436 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:18 pm 
TDC Member

Did you replace the little metal "bit" that fits between the waxstat the the jet? (maybe 5mm long, and similar diameter. Please forgive me if that is way out, last did this donkeys years ago)

I replaced the poppet valve butterflys with solid type on my current car. I had previously soldered up and removed the spring etc. I reality I doubt it makes any difference except at absolute max revs, as long as the springs are good. (mine weren't, and the solid butterflies are cheaper!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:04 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Clive, you have it spot on. The bit I left out is the little silver cylinder shown in my photo. Having put that in, the jet now winds up to the bridge. Another problem solved.

Attachments:
DSCN3809.JPG
DSCN3809.JPG [ 91.51 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 pm 
TDC Member

[quote=Bumpa post_id=307963 time=1508153571 user_id=14157

The other thing is this. Should I be removing the poppet valve in the throttle butterfly and soldering up the hole? They seem to work alright, in that the springs aren't weak and they are properly closed. Opinions please, or better still practical experience.

[/quote]
My MGB had those spring controlled vales as well. After I had uncontrolled fast idle when hot ( due to the springs weakening ) I soldered them solid and then a few years later I replaced them with solid butterflies. You do need a big soldering iron to solder them I remember. I wasn't keen on using a gas torch !
Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks Tony. I've ordered a pair of plain throttle discs and some new screws. Might as well do the job properly while the car is dismantled.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

They all beat me too it....

I'd have stuck with the real waxstats as I find they actually work and need less choke on startup. But hey ho nobody much agrees with me
on this....maybe I just make mine work better...:-)

Yes that is much too low in the hole. I'd also vote for a solid butterfly disc and a bit of knife edging with a file of you feel keen...

Jonners