The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: 1500 FWD suspension
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:39 pm 
Hi all, just got my hands on a 1500 FWD and would like to stiffen and lower the suspension (hopefully reduce some body roll).

Wondered what the best way to go about that would be, are there dolomite or toledo parts that will fit? I've seen GAZ do height adjustable shocks for both but was unsure whether any of them would fit on my FWD, and if they do what kind of springs should i fit? And where's the best place to buy them? I've heard of places like demon tweaks which have a huge selection.

Thanks in advance for any information and suggestions.

Post subject: Hello and .....
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:07 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum.

I have no experience of the 1500 FWD but I do know for any car it pays to start with the basics
so make sure you have good tyres, all ball joints are working properly, steering rack mounts aren't perished,
shocks aren't leaking, etc, etc.

On this forum there is/was a photo of a clean looking 1500 sporting Dolomite 1850 steel wheels, apparently fitting
these wheels widens the track making the car more stable.

Ian.

Post subject: Re: 1500 FWD suspension
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:01 pm 
Thanks for the welcome,

I haven't had a chance to really get under neath and have a good look yet, but i do believe everything is in good working order, as it was refurbished somewhat recently.
I also have some nice wheels and tires in mind, that i should be purchasing at some point.
I did a photoshop with some similar wheels. Going for this sort of look, https://imgur.com/a/c2wvw

Just need to figure out what to do with the suspension to give the wheels a nice fit, and make the car feel as good as it can in the corners.

If you ever see the photo of that 1500 again, i'd love to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 pm 
TDC Member

Good luck with bolting those on the front of an fwd, bumpsteer will be your friend.

Dolomite shox and springs can be used, but I'm not sure of the spring rates You'll need.

Look at wheels suitable for the Rover 114 etc, which should have a suitable off set for the fwd.

In addition look at fitting Dolomite front, and rear anti roll bars.

From memory, you may need to drill the front subframe for the arb mounting

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:49 pm 
Quote:
Good luck with bolting those on the front of an fwd, bumpsteer will be your friend.

Dolomite shox and springs can be used, but I'm not sure of the spring rates You'll need.

Look at wheels suitable for the Rover 114 etc, which should have a suitable off set for the fwd.

In addition look at fitting Dolomite front, and rear anti roll bars.

From memory, you may need to drill the front subframe for the arb mounting
Anti roll bars completely slipped my mind, will definitely look into fitting those. Thanks for mentioning them.

Those wheels i used in the photoshop are more of an aspiration i guess, i'll probably end up getting something a lot more reasonable.
I saw a dolomite with some compomotive wheels on which looked great https://imgur.com/a/43ONm might look in to getting some of those.