The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Completely Standard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:10 pm 
TDC Member

What's peoples opinions on keeping a car completely standard apart from a stainless steel exhaust (which is identical apart from the steel) , I'm determined to try and retain it as it came off the production line, more for originality reasons than practicality and and she's a genuine car.

I know it's a personal thing but what are peoples thoughts on the "pros and cons"?

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

Post subject: Re: Completely Standard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:06 pm 
TDC Member

I like original, but some things are better off modified, I always think it's better if that can be hidden.
Relays for the lights, electronic ignition under the dizzy cap, modern material HT leads etc. Especially with a car that has a good history, sensible originality is key, just my opinion. The documentation and originality should be the safeguarding of the cars value for the long term future.
What's worth more in the future, say 20 years - a car that's been left to the elements, highly modified and in dire need of TLC?
Or a very original, documented car in the same state?
I'm not for a moment suggesting that your car will ever be neglected, just trying to point out that in the far future I reckon originality will be key. Long after I'm gone! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

personally I don't give a sheet what someone does with their car, after all its their car that they have paid for, ok so I don't like the trends of extreme camber, banded tyres etc but as long as the car is safe to be used on the road carry on and do it.
I have had some very original one owners Dolomite shaped cars and I've also had (including one of my present collection) some not original ones. if someone tells me they don't like I'll just reply in my usual polite manner that I'm not forcing them to like it.
I don't see the point of buying lets say a Dolomite then fitting very different engine because 'It will do 35 mpg and be more reliable' when a well kept car is already reliable.

Anyhoo rant over, stand at ease and do whatever you want it's your car :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:01 pm 
TDC Member

If you buy a Victorian 2 up 2 down do you put central heating in, electricity and a bathroom or keep it standard with gas mantles, fireplace and a tin bath? Originality is fine if you want a museum on wheels. In saying that, like has been said, keep it sensible for, after all, you bought a Triumph Dolomite for what it is not what it could become but well placed modern components tucked out of the way that makes your life a bit easier/safer does no harm. In saying all that, if I bought an old rotten Dolomite with knackered running gear and a seized engine, would I consider putting in a modern engine and gearbox in it like Steve's Carledo, hell yeah.

The sort of question that I reckon everyone will have a differing opinion on and has been debated a few times in the short time I've been a visitor to this forum!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm 
TDC Member

in my world I love the look and the drive of the sprint but I dont care much for the 70's repair schedule. I like to enjoy driving mine so mods are anything that make it useable but looks period at least. I have one development car (anything goes mechanically) and an ongoing resto that will appear factory but will have fuses and relays and probably electronic ign. It just depends on how much you'll drive it really and whatever suits you is fine :thumbsup:

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:18 am 
TDC Member

Entirely a matter of personal taste.
My opinion (neither right nor wrong) is that if you mod a car too much you bought the wrong car to start with.
I wouldn't want to modify a classic car in a way that wasn't reversible. I rewired my Spitfire so that it has a modern fuse box and relays, the old under bonnet box is now "just for show". But if you really wanted you could put it back to standard. (I also went to the trouble of sticking to the original colour codes AND updating a wiring diagram in the "old style" so I have it for reference)
BUT.... after the nightmare of poor quality modern points/condensor units I wouldn't think twice about fitting one of the points replacement electronic units.
I'm considering a move to bike carbs on the spitfire.... but only if I can do it as a bolt-on, bolt-off change.

I think keeping a motor close to factory standard and enjoying it is a great idea in terms of long term value. A few years down the line the cars commanding the strong money will be the ones as close as possible to factory standard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
What's peoples opinions on keeping a car completely standard apart from a stainless steel exhaust (which is identical apart from the steel) , I'm determined to try and retain it as it came off the production line, more for originality reasons than practicality and and she's a genuine car.
Well that's basically what I am doing with NWL, the way I see it she's dome 107k hard work and it's time for retirement back to factory spec. The only thing I would do to NWL which is non factory is to fit electronic ignition, just because in my opinion it's a no brainer.

Then I have RUK which isn't exactly factory, I have a set of MGF seats, the wiring is modified and it has trackerjack brakes on, plus a radio, the door pockets and lumenition ignition. and NWL's drivetrain is about to be put in to be run in. But thats because RUK is my daily driver.
Quote:
I don't see the point of buying lets say a Dolomite then fitting very different engine because 'It will do 35 mpg and be more reliable' when a well kept car is already reliable.
Completely agree, people will always have opinions about what you should and shouldn't do to your car, at the end of the day it's your car and you do what you feel makes you enjoy it more.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 am 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

As you can tell it is personal taste and there are differing opinions. However a lot depends on what are you going to use it for !. If it was a daily driver than some mods could be considered sensible, but personnally i like small mods that can be put back to standard easily if needed.
Essential i would say is electronic ignition easily fitted and you can forget about it and two less service items to worry about (points and condenser)
I have the twin pipe stainless exhaust which is a match for the original and again a never have to replace again item.
Upgraded lights is a matter of requirement, will you drive it a lot in the dark if so than a sensible upgrade that can be reversed if needed. (make sure you use relays)

The big thing for me has always been about colour choice i like a car to be the colour it left the factory regardless of how awful some of those seventies colours were. Particularly if the rest of the car is original :lol:

But again you, your car take your choice. But when it comes to future values (if that's your thing) Originality and history will always win over heavily modded. !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:50 pm 
TDC Member

The plan for this car is simply to take it out on a nice summer's day to enjoy it (no wet or winter driving), and take it to shows locally.

The likelihood of dark nightime driving is remote so don't see the need for H4 headlamps.

Its survived 37 yrs as a standard car so thought for all it will do in the future why not retain it as a box standard Sprint - as she left the factory.

It's got an identical to original stainless steel exhaust which was fitted in 93, but I don't class that as a modification as it's identical and only a change of Steel.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:42 pm 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

If that is the case than i would leave it as original as possible with the possible exception of fitting an electronic ignition kit. With the old points and condenser in your spares kit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:00 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

My car will be close to standard but I have chosen to make some 'upgrades' by fitting better dampers, an alloy radiator with electric fan and H4 headlights. The latter I chose mainly because of a lack of sealed beams. I'll also fit electronic ignition at some point when I'm up and running, this is for reliability and driveability. Haven't decided on an exhaust yet but the standard one is a bit tame for me so maybe put something a bit noisier on. I'd also still quite like to fit some nice leather chairs in the car. I do have a very nice set of cloth seats but I may consider storing those and having some leather ones made from some slightly ratty ones. Apart from that it'll be standard.

Personally I wouldn't do an engine swap, gearbox swap etc but that's just me.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:24 pm 
TDC Member

Yes, as she'll do very little in future, although I do hope to enjoy her as much as possible in the good weather, I thought no need to change anything.

I do like the thought of keeping her completely original.

If she was going to be used on a regular basis then yes, I think I would be forced to do a lot of the changes mentioned, lights and ignition in particular - I'll see how I get on with "points and condensor".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:40 pm 

Perfectly fine idea, they worked as new, so why not? The only thing I would be tempted to change is to electric ignition. The conversion can be hidden and it will save you hassle. Oh and relays to the headlight switch is a good idea, to stop it burning out. Once again a minor mod and it can be hidden.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:26 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Perfectly fine idea, they worked as new, so why not?
That's what I was thinking, I'm old enough to remember driving these cars back in the day and they coped most of the time lol, for all the miles it'll be doing now it'll hopefully be okay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 pm 

Personally, I am a fan of originality. I have had plenty of original and plenty of modified cars. The modified ones always proved a bit problematic as one modified item led to issues for the next.
I will go as far as fitting hardened valve seats or a stainless exhaust, but don't like going much further than that.
People are obviously welcome to do whatever they want to their car, but sometimes I wonder why someone extensively modifies a classic rather than just buying a new car!
To me the charm of a classic is its original design and features. I enjoy adjusting points, the vagueness of the steering on my TR3 or having to push the brake pedal that little bit harder. That is what the old cars are all about!