The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:55 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:

Oh and the so called 'rare' gearbox rubber mount is actually the same as a stag subframe bush which is what I put in.
I thought they fitted but were not 'the same'?
I believe that is correct

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:48 am 
TDC Member

Back to the original post...........

Sam

I've converted an manual Sprint into an auto and am pleased with the result. The car is very driveable with great performance. I actually used parts from an 1850 auto (which were plentiful in NZ) so it was quite simple. Perhaps finding a rusty wreck 1850 auto would be a potential source of parts for you? I used an aftermarket transmission cooler in front of the radiator so that shouldn't be an issue. Rest was relatively simple mechanical stuff, but the list of parts to change is quite long.

If I can help just PM me. Good luck.

Geoff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:51 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Ok Ok, they are about 10mm longer to the bottom and you have to change the bolt, it's not that difficult. :D

Well the only tricky part is getting the exhaust off and dropping the crossmember!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am 
TDC Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It looks like we'll be going down the route of just buying an 1850 Auto and saving the trouble of converting. It seems that although they are not as common as the manuals they are out there if you know where to look (ie. this forum!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:00 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Hi All,
For various reasons I'm in need of a Triumph to do events in that's got at least 4 seats AND is automatic.
I appreciate that an auto isn't everyone's cuppa, but for us it's a requirement (I'd rather have a manual, but it's just not an option under the circumstances)

So I'm keeping an eye on all the usual classic car sales places (ebay, forums, car and classic, gumtree, etc.) for a Sprint or 1850 that's automatic (and not brown... she won't drive a brown one)
My search seems to be the equivalent of hunting for hens teeth or rocking horse poo.

I've seen a couple of likely candidates that tick all the boxes EXCEPT the gearbox.
So... what's involved in converting a manual to an auto?

Gearbox, mounting, selector/trim, kick down cable, remove clutch pedal (change pedal box?), fit a GB oil cooler?

Obviously I'd love to source a ZF 4HP22 out of a Sherpa and convert to that (but they are even rarer than the car I'm searching for) so I'll settle for converting to the standard Dolomite 3 speed for now.

Cheers,
Sam
The zf gearbox mod, is a mod I'm tiring to do on the stag,ive been collecting parts,the zf gerbox from a sherpa van as you say is hard to find,but you can use a box from BMW or Jag 4Hp22 via a adapter plate linked to the oirginal BW35 bellhousing

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh and the so called 'rare' gearbox rubber mount is actually the same as a stag subframe bush which is what I put in.
You need a longer bolt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You need a longer bolt.
See my post above

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm 
TDC Member