The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A rain-water leak ...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:13 pm 
TDC Member

... after last week's heavy rain I noticed my 1850 was misting up. The front footwells are dry but unusually the rear nearside footwell was quite wet. The door seal looks O.K. as do the widow seals, so how does water get in here ? The seam around the rear footwell looks good. I don't think its the rear screen as its too far back to leak into the footwell.
Any ideas please ?
Thanks,
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm 
TDC Member

Is it coming in from underneath maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:34 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
... after last week's heavy rain I noticed my 1850 was misting up. The front footwells are dry but unusually the rear nearside footwell was quite wet. The door seal looks O.K. as do the widow seals, so how does water get in here ? The seam around the rear footwell looks good. I don't think its the rear screen as its too far back to leak into the footwell.
Any ideas please ?
Thanks,
Tony.
It is such an odd place to find rain water. Like the previous poster I thought it could be rear wheel arch, I had rot there, but it tends to be in the skin between the panels. So I don't see how it lets in water.

One thing does occur to me and I don't think you will like it. Have you checked the door skin? My previous owner bodged a dent with filler and it rotted out.

Otherwise I haven't any ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:49 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi Tony,
Have you had the door cards off at all? If so were plastic sheets at the back still intact? As water can get inside running down the back of the door card.
One good way to check for leaks is to sprinkle talc ( ask swmbo first) around the area and any leak will leave a trail :D It will also make the car smell nice :wink:
Cheers,

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:03 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks All for your suggestions. I had the door trim off at lunch time and the plastic water curtain is still there with no sign of water around it. The door trim was dry as well. So I took the opportunity to add some Dinitrol to the inside of the door and re-taped it back. I put some Vaseline around the door seal to soften it up a bit as well.
I like the idea of talc to find water leaks.
The search continues !
Cheers All,
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:11 pm 

I had this once on my 1850, I found a large blanking plug/plate in the footwell on that side at the back and water was getting in through that.

It also came in handy when the fire brigade filled it with water (after vandals broke into the lock up and set the car alight) for letting the water back out again, it's about 2.5 inches in diameter and secured with mastic it seems.

Iain