The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mix-match of headlights
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:25 am 
TDC Member

I started stripping the Sprint tonight getting her ready for her respray early next year and found I had H4 inner headlights, and sealed beam outers - what I'm surprised about is that it didn't cause me any issues as there's no relay....

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 am 
TDC Member

The H4s probably don't take any more current than sealed beams - both probably 55W or around that. Still a lot of wigglies going through a copper leaf contact, and even more if you use the flash option. Any damage caused so far may not be apparent unless you know where to poke your meter.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:01 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
The H4s probably don't take any more current than sealed beams - both probably 55W or around that. Still a lot of wigglies going through a copper leaf contact, and even more if you use the flash option. Any damage caused so far may not be apparent unless you know where to poke your meter.
Sealed beams will be going back on.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:04 am 
TDC Member

Indeed. There is this bizarre/ill informed notion that fitting halogens need a relay. They don't, unless the bulbs are those illegal 100w ones or similar.

That is not to say fitting relays is a very good idea. To either halogens or sealed beams. Makes either brighter and saves the switchgear. A win-win.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Indeed. There is this bizarre/ill informed notion that fitting halogens need a relay. They don't, unless the bulbs are those illegal 100w ones or similar.

That is not to say fitting relays is a very good idea. To either halogens or sealed beams. Makes either brighter and saves the switchgear. A win-win.
I'm trying to keep her totally standard apart from fitting rear seatbelts, so it'll be all sealed beams that go back on.

I only started stripping her last night for the respray which should be early next year - I'm hoping 99% of what comes off will go back onto her - I don't see any reason why as she's in good order.