The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:14 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello
I am new to the forum - and live in Sydney, Australia - but a long time Dolomite 1850 and Sprint owner.
I have a "true" 1850 block and crankshaft (no machining and no sleeves).
I want to bore it out to a std 2.0L Sprint spec. I have a spare Sprint inlet minifold and set of Sprint SUs. I have a Head (tjough need to check its thickness) and a Sprint Gearbox with J-type OD.
Exhaust manifold for Sprint is needed along with a timing chain cover and a distributor.
My question (well - my first question) is are Rimmer Bros pistons (as part of their rebuild kit) good - or very good or crap?
I have previuosly purchased JE forged pistons through Cambridge Motor Sports - but these are very expensive (with postage etc from USA to UK then to Aus). They are fantastic - engine sounds and run very well perfectly balanced (that engine has twin 45ml DCOE Webers).
I would be very happy with Rimmer Bros if I can get a consistent view of quality.
Otherwise - a set of std 2.0 Cosworth Leyland pistons or Mahle pistons (NOS) would be great for this car (any other suggestions welcome). Australian JP pistons are not good.
Stocks of quality parts are now slim in Australia so I thought I would reachout to the brainstrust.
Any advice on oil pumps, timing chain cover, head gaskets, or any other advice would be much appreciated.
Tom