The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Very late model Sprint
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi all, new to the forum :bluewave:

Well after a long list of Triumphs in the family in my younger days, all the way from Heralds (13/60 to a Vitesse) through a Toledo to a 1500 HL, then an 1850, it finally ended in a Sprint.

The sprint was 1981, W reg 1 previous owner and very few miles around 10k. It had had an engine issue (never new what) resulting in a new engine just before we bought it. It still looked new and clean.

It was blown over in a different colour because the family member driving it did not like brown! After not much more use it was parked in a corner and all but forgotten.

We did have a go at bringing it back a good few years ago, it was stripped to bare metal, two new sills and a couple of small holes, etch primed and re-done in original russet, it was never finished and has lived in the back of a garage for a couple of decades now.

It is probably time to get this running and back on the road and in the not to distant future I will be moving it to somewhere I can work on it.

The problem is the colour

Being the car it is and one of the last I want to do it once and do it right. If I was doing it for myself I would change the colour, probably blue or pimento, (the 1850 was pimento and looked really good) but I know I may have to let it go one day and I do sort of agree with those who say it should be how it came out of the factory.

Is the Dolomite at the point where being faithful to the factory colour is important or would people be tempted to do it in a more flattering colour.

I have already done one bare metal respray on the car if I change the colour again it will be done properly and for the last time I own it. What do people think?

I realise it is quite subjective, just wanted to canvas a bit of opinion

Long post I know for the first, just thought a bit of an intro would help explain the dilemma :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 pm 

Hello and welcome. :)

I owned a W reg Russet Sprint for eight years. So many souls loved the Chestnut brown interior, but then would screw their noses up at the colour of the paintwork! :scratchin:

During the time I had it, I had a lot of bodywork done and when the time came to paint it, I kept it Russet. Personally, I think that to change a colour properly, one needs to paint over everywhere to get rid of the original colour..even under the carpets. I would much rather have a Russet car than one that was only half painted.

When it comes to selling it, it will fetch a little less money than the more popular colours.

Humans are a very strange species..people adore the brown of curries, tobacco, chocolate and beer while sitting on trendy DFS brown leather settee's..but when it comes to a seventies car in a seventies hue, these same people run screaming in terror! :roll: As I say, strange.

Russet is a lovely, rich colour that always takes me back to the seventies..and that's not a bad place to be in my fleeting memories..

Best of luck with your decision.. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 pm 
TDC Member

Fashion.
Not so long ago white was a car colour no-one wanted.....
Your car, your choice, I say keep it original. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:12 pm 

Brown is the new black, white, silver or mustard! How many horrible Citroen cactus are horrible browny colours?. I also have the russet variety. Not my first choice. But really does grow on you and the chestnut and wood is lovely. Keep it brown as nature intended :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:55 pm 

Russet has its pluses in that its easy to touch up and seems quite robust in original form as far as Triumph paints go generally.

However if its all about money you will regain 500 to 1000 on sale price ifthe colour change is done properly.

It could be worse....but not much.

Only saffron or sandglow...

I'd paint it anything else...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:14 pm 

Quote:
Russet has its pluses in that its easy to touch up and seems quite robust in original form as far as Triumph paints go generally.

However if its all about money you will regain 500 to 1000 on sale price ifthe colour change is done properly.

I'd paint it anything else...

Jonners

Don't listen to him Sandglow is one of the better colours, especially on a proper engined 1300 Dolomite ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 am 
TDC Member

Assuming you are going to keep the car for quite a few years before selling, I would paint it whatever colour you like best and will bring a smile to your face everytime you use the car. After all, it is YOUR car.

I've been lucky enough to find and own a late model in my favourite pageant blue for many years. However the brown (actually maple) racecar has provoked more attention on track than I imagine it would in any other colour possible, so if you like Russet it will attract comment which one of the more bland colours is unlikely to.

In the end, your car, your decision. Definitely better on the road being enjoyed than stuck in the back of a garage!

Regards

Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:57 am 

Quote:
Personally, I think that to change a colour properly, one needs to paint over everywhere to get rid of the original colour..even under the carpets. I would much rather have a Russet car than one that was only half painted.
Absolutely, if we do the colour change it will be complete, inside and out it is a rolling shell at the moment so not too hard to do. But it is a lot of work which is why I am agonising over it a bit. Pimento is the favourite as I saw the sprint parked next to our pimento 1850 for years. The brown never really grew on me

Inca yellow or French Blue are also candidates (anyone know what colours were available on the Sprint? no colours even in the brochure)

A lot will come down to what work needs doing to it. If body and paint are intact it may make sense to leave it. If any paint is needed might just go for it.
Quote:

Ha Ha :lol: We also had an Allegro, I'm sure it was Sandglow, even had the square wheel :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:56 am 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

Tahiti and Delpht Blue are 2 of my favourites for a Sprint then again you could have Magenta :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:16 pm 

Carmine red.. 8)

Not a dolomite colour, but a Triumph one.. Topaz.. :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:47 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Welcome to the forum :D
I think they look nice in white :D But if you leave it in russet? the bonus will be the rust (if it comes through) will be less noticeable :lol: :lol:
Any chance of before and after pics?
Cheers, Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:38 pm 
TDC Member

Oi, Mr tangocharle1 what's the problem with Magenta???????? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 pm 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

Nothing wrong with Magenta Len I personally like it, but there are plenty that disagree with me.. I mean us. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:20 pm 
TDC Member

If you aren't happy with the 'brown' as most refer to it as, and you plan to keep it, and it's a rolling shell then I'd definitely change the colour to your favourite one and get it done properly, notify DVLA too.

BTW white or Inca lol

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm 

Maybe as it's a late car, a late colour perhaps?

White, inca, carmine, pageant, vermillion, brooklands..can't think of any others..

What colour is the interior? Black, chestnut or biscuit?

Totally agree with you that magenta is a lovely colour. :)

Just remembered my favourite green.. Emerald. Though that is an early colour.. Come to think of it, was it ever put on a sprint from the factory?

Last edited by Reg on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.