The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Toledo woes....continued
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:38 pm 
TDC Member

I was going to replace the rubbish (I could use a selection of other words but I will be polite) rubber bushes I fitted to the axle tie rods 18 months ago. They feel like jelly, and covered in deep splits. However, the first bolt I tried to undo was seized solid in the (front) bush. Got the grinder out, and with a load of faffing chopped both ends of the bolt off. Then removed the tie rod, other one was fine.
Then the inspection. The "cups" on the axle are in very poor condition. And the mounting area at the front of the tie rods both sides had cracks.
Cracks prepped and welded. Headscratching on the axle "cups" but decided to order up some 2 1/8" core plugs to weld in place. Next, check over what else should be done. The trailing arm bushes seemed poor, so ordered up genuine front (voided) ones plus HD rears from robsport (parts shared with TR7) I would have used poly, but wisdom suggests the voided type were fitted for a good reason (?), so stick with them, especially as genuine ones are available.
A glance at the fuel pipe suggested replacement is due,but trip to screwfix with get me a 10m roll of 8mm copper pipe at sensible money.

Really looking forwards to next weekend, drop the axle, weld the cups in, and fit a new fuel pipe, new bushes etc. Plus I will try a rear spring swap. Fingers crossed it will tighten up the handling which has deteriorated over my 10 years/40k of ownership, many of those very hard miles....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:41 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I don't envy you that job, after seized bolts, rubber bushes are the thing I hate on cars. Getting the old one out is always a pain in the backside, then you think the easy bit has come. Putting it back together is always easier.

Nope, not unless you have the hydraulic press that they always have on restoration programmes on the telly. Otherwise it is make improvised tools out of bolts, washers, vices and exhaust hangers. All to compress the damn thing in. Especially annoying when adding that one vital washer means there is just fractionally less thread left than you need to get the nut started.

Still I managed to swap the back axle on mine and if I can do it, anyone can. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:23 pm 
TDC Member

Clive, Im assuming youll be doing the fuel pipe once the axle is dropped? :) Nice and easy then.

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:02 pm 
TDC Member

Fuel pipe, yes, it will be once axle is out the way. I collected a 10m roll of copper 8mm tube from Screwfix for £16.99,rather better value than most other places. The pipe is original at present, and has several rubber joiners. I will see if I can reduce the number of rubber bits....

As to bushes, my decent sized vice works a treat! Rarely had any issues with removal or refitting. It was a fortunate find!

As long as it isn't too cold up the garage on Saturday, it should all be done in a day. Fingers crossed. Not long until the RBRR!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:02 pm 
TDC Member

Today a lot was done.
rear ARB and axle off. Dropped the trailing arms. Took off the fuel lines.
Remade the fuel line, this time down the drivers side (this was an OHV car, but now OHC, fuel pump on the opposite side of the engine)
Bushes pushed out the trailing arms, and new ones pressed in using thevice and sockets. The solid rearbushes took a few attempts as they kept twisting, but got there in the end.
The tie rod cups were removed, what was left of them. Each is attached with 2 small spot welds. I drilled a 6mm hole in the centre of each of the 4 2 1/8 core plugs I had bought, and a couple more holes near the inside edge. Clamped the cups onto the axle bracket wit a nut/bolt, and plug-welded in place. Cleaned up with a die grinder, all good. Then used a holesaw to cut a 1 1/4" hole, and cleaned up the edges with a flapwheel. That sounds quick, but took a while with all the faffing.
After a late lunch, started reassmbly.Trailing arms back on, tie rods and axle fitted. Then the ARB. That was it, all bolts need tightening, brake hose and cables need reconnecting. But I am hopeful everything is a bit tighter at the rear. Next update in a week...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 pm 

Clive, have you ever considered Super Flex bushes? They're not too hard and seem to be the perfect compromise between comfort and longevity. If you still want to use rubber how about NOS items? Even at that age, they're probably better that the modern stuff that seems to be made of cheese.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:07 pm 
TDC Member

I purposely bought NOS voided bushes for the front of the trailing arms. And HD rubber for the rears (from Robspeed), The tie rods bushes are superflex.
But be aware, I have killed superflex bushes in my spitfire diff in 3k, but that may be down to pushing the expectations of said bushes.....