The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Everyone After several years of building an MGB GT to my own particular taste , that is power steering, sitting higher to make it easy to get in etc. I now find with ageing hip joints, even with the mods its getting hard to climb out of it. So looking back at the cars I enjoyed, the Dolomite came to mind. My first was a 1 year old Sprint in 1978 followed over the years by 2 1850's. Anyway found this 1980 1500HL auto in Falmouth, 1 owner, garaged all its life, every mot, completely rust free and almost original except for a bottom half respray following a dented door and with side strips unavailable they were all removed. Virtually everything mechanical has been replaced over the years and all work. The car runs faultlessly and I can get in and out effortlessly. Its a joy to drive. May look for some Sprint wheels to give it the looks. If you are wondering why my Suzuki is sitting on its ass, it is because the Dolly boot is full of spare plus some on the rear seat and the Suzuki boot has an auto box , torque converter, flywheel, diff, propshaft, bumpers and several boxes of assorted spares. I new there were a few spares but expecting the mountain that was collected over 37 years (just in case they were needed). As a matter of interest apparently it was recalled by BL in 1986 and the flywheel was replaced.
Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:06 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Welcome back. I knew there was no known cure! That looks like a lovely Dolomite you have picked up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

You will love the Dolly auto :D I was never a fan of auto's at all, but after spinal surgery i can no longer press a clutch :( :(
I just wished i had swapped earlier, old age i suppose :oops:

Cheers and welcome,
Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:25 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome back and it is good to see yet another nice Russet Brown dolomite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 pm 
TDC Member

Welcome! Looks/sounds like a cracking motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:37 am 
TDC Member

good to see another auto on here.

do you know if the gearbox oil and filter has been changed at all?

also be careful to use the correct fluid in the box you must use ATF-G or Ford spec M2C-33G, Andrew Page auto factors have it on the shelf.

I run sprint wheels with 175/70 tires on my 1850 auto and it does affect the engine revs, for the same road speed my engine runs 300 RPM higher. perhaps I should use non low profile tyres instead.

Enjoy the Dolomite.

Malcolm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
good to see another auto on here.

do you know if the gearbox oil and filter has been changed at all?

also be careful to use the correct fluid in the box you must use ATF-G or Ford spec M2C-33G, Andrew Page auto factors have it on the shelf.

I run sprint wheels with 175/70 tires on my 1850 auto and it does affect the engine revs, for the same road speed my engine runs 300 RPM higher. perhaps I should use non low profile tyres instead.

Enjoy the Dolomite.

Malcolm
The circumference of a 175/70 sprint tyre is 99.5% of that of a 155/80 1850 tyre, so I doubt it would make that much difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 pm 
TDC Member

I have checked the oils, both engine and box look clean and fresh, the engine oil filter looks new. No way to check the box filter without dropping it out. The changes are surprisingly smooth. I have never bought a car that has been so well looked after. I think the previous owner was so fastidious, it has probably been cleaned or replaced. Thanks for the advice guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:43 am 
TDC Member

Sounds like a great car, and nice to hear it's an auto.

I have an auto Sprint and love how smooth she is.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092