The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:25 pm 
TDC Member

I decided to strip and repaint a spare rocker cover for my collection of 1500cc dolomites. I started by checking that I could blow down the breather pipe. Inside the rocker cover where the breather pipe enters it there is a plate and I believe that under this plate there is some wire mesh. Knowing this next I attempted to flush out any old oil that had collected on the mesh by soaking and then flushing it with white spirits. Some dirt did come out as expected but then I had a better idea and decided to use my small gas torch to burn the old oil up by directing the gas flame up under the plate from each end. This seemed to work very well as flames issue forth for quite a time and some black liquid ran out. Next I attempted to flush any loose bits out with my garden hose. When there were no more bits coming out I needed to dry the area so I got out my electric hot air paint stripper and started to blow hot air under the plate. Much to my surprise the air coming out from under the plate burst into flames once more and this continued for a considerable time. Knowing this I would have used the hot air paint stripper from the start but be warned the flames are very fierce and the cover gets very hot.
I have not come across any documents that state this mesh needs to be cleaned but my results do make me wonder how restricted had the rocker cover breather become.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:37 pm 
TDC Member

I know my Stag has a similar setup, the best way to do the Stag is to remove the spot welded plate, replace the mesh and re-weld the cover plate back on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 pm 
TDC Member

My problem is I do not have a welder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:03 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

If you can get it nice and clean? JB weld should do the job :D

Cheers,

Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Or just get a local welder to do it for you, it would take them minutes and I doubt they would charge much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:40 pm 

I did this to my 1500. as suggested above I bent the plate and removed the mesh then replaced it with one of those stainless pan scourer things from under the sink.