The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Sprint engine mounts
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Hi all,

We were talking about this at our meeting last night.
Someone has said that the TR8 engine mtg from Moss europe will fit and are brilliant :D
The only difference is the nuts are a metric thread.......
Has anyone else heard this?

Cheers,
Tony.
No but I can pop up to Moss and ask them to get some off the shelf for me so I can compare.

Will report back tomorrow then...

James

Edit - just seen them in the catalogue and they are completely different.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:05 pm 
TDC Member

I did some research awhile ago in case the Sprint mount was an off the shelf part rather than being Sprint specific, including other Triumph models, and the TR8 ones look nothing like Sprint ones. Have in the past wondered about off the shelf sandwich mounts with an adaptor, as well as companies that will make custom ones like Aegis Rubber. Probably not that hard to improve on the sandwich mount with something a bit more modern either for that matter, but as others are working hard on this already with industry contacts then I'm waiting to see what is discovered first.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 pm 
TDC Lincs Area Organiser

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trium ... IkQgjYIzgM

They don't look similar to Sprint ones tbh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:06 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Hi All,

I think i might have got this wrong somewhere :oops: :oops:
I am trying to clarify with the people who were there.
I will let you know what happens.

Cheers,
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I bought some from a guy on ebay who assured me that they were NOS.

I realise how dodgy that sounds but he claimed they were NOS and stored in the dark etc. That contact only came from another post in a different thread on this forum as well. If I can find any details I'll re-post but it was a while ago. It seemed like a worthy risk given the sorry tales about Rimmers ones.

On my car I'm almost certain that one mount was put in the wrong way around causing the engine to be rotated slightly clockwise from the drivers seat view. On replacing the mounts the engine position changed slightly resulting in the downpipe knocking on the subframe. The downpipe was already dented with a recess to fit and I just had an exhaust fabricator make a new one that avoids everything. Anyway, he commented on how much the engine moves and the fact that there's the steady bar on the top NS corner presumably specified to help manage that problem.

As others have said you source a part and just hope that you have a quality part - or at least an adequate quality part - fitted to your vehicle. Unfortunately there are various parts where it becomes clear that this is not the case and/or cases where alternative parts have been deemed a better idea (I'm thinking rear axle seals specifically and the use of gearbox nose seals as an alternative)

It would be great if there were firmer poly mounts that still absorbed vibration and I'm sure many of us would be happy to pay a reasonable price for better performing longer life engine mounts.

Can I suggest that it would also be a good idea to have an online searchable database where members can submit info about parts they bought, from where and on what date. This can include "theory" entries where folks can note known tips Eg the rear axle topic. If we could get into the habit of keeping that updated as parts are purchased it would then be easier for later purchasers to have a search through and identify both opportunities and risks. Might that be do-able?

cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:04 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
On my car I'm almost certain that one mount was put in the wrong way around causing the engine to be rotated slightly clockwise from the drivers seat view. On replacing the mounts the engine position changed slightly resulting in the downpipe knocking on the subframe. The downpipe was already dented with a recess to fit and I just had an exhaust fabricator make a new one that avoids everything. Anyway, he commented on how much the engine moves and the fact that there's the steady bar on the top NS corner presumably specified to help manage that problem.
Maybe a symptom of a poor quality mount, for as far as I know the mounts are not handed but the mounting brackets are?
Quote:
Can I suggest that it would also be a good idea to have an online searchable database where members can submit info about parts they bought, from where and on what date. This can include "theory" entries where folks can note known tips Eg the rear axle topic. If we could get into the habit of keeping that updated as parts are purchased it would then be easier for later purchasers to have a search through and identify both opportunities and risks. Might that be do-able?
That's a good idea, it's not an issue legally if individual club members endorse parts as that is just individuals expressing an opinion. There was the Dollywiki until the person set it up decided to stop running it, which is a shame. Gone off topic here, but there is definitely scope for a club version of that wiki, and I would help to populate it with forum knowledge, what do others think?

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm 

Hi All,

Got to the bottom of this......
The dolly in question has a V8 in it.........
Sorry about that, i will listen more carefully next time :oops: :oops:

Cheers,
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:31 pm 
TDC Member

I'm now interested about the V8 transplant! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:26 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
It belongs to Neil (flying farmer) from Stafford. It is a Toledo with a Rover V8 if I remember correctly.
If I can find a pic of the engine bay, I will post one.

Cheers
Keith

Attachments:
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG [ 84.27 KiB | Viewed 1155 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:38 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It belongs to Neil (flying farmer) from Stafford. It is a Toledo with a Rover V8 if I remember correctly.
If I can find a pic of the engine bay, I will post one.

Cheers
Keith
You beat me to it Keith :lol:
Cheers,
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:50 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

If it's Neil's then probably a Stag V8, I can't remember all I know is it sounds lovely.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 pm 

All Neils cars sound great :D I have been behind him a few times :wink: Pure music :lol:
Cheers,
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:54 pm 
TDC Member

Stag V8 in a Dolomite?! Okay, just a need a moment to clean up, brb...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:47 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
If it's Neil's then probably a Stag V8, I can't remember all I know is it sounds lovely.
Its a Rover Twin Plenum V8 Toledo

Post number 7 in this link:
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 770/s-all/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 pm 
TDC Member

why does the sprint have engine mount problems ? i think the 1850 use the same engine mount as the stag,not heard of any trouble with those cars,not sure but would think its the same people that make all the engine mounts ?
The sprint i think im right in saying is the only car with a engine stabilizer bar,is that because the engine mounts were fitted in the wrong place originally ( to far forward or back )

Dave