The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: BAD water leak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:47 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi,
At Easter I'm planning to take my SPRINT on a 1,600kms round trip to visit friends in deepest darkest Victoria.
Thanks to good advice from you gents I've been able to set the electric fan so it operates perfectly and today I was able to set and balance the Carburettors just right.
As I was finishing up with the carbs, it started to leak coolant. After about 20 seconds, the leak suddenly increased, so I shut down the car immediately and left the fan running.
On investigation with the aid of an extendable mirror, the leak is in a recess (about 2' x 1/3") in the block, about an inch beneath and directly in line with the water pump housing. There is a welsh plug an inch or two behind it.
Now, a previous owner has painted the block bright yellow, and its difficult to see exactly whats what in there, and when I started scratching around, I was able to insert a small screwdriver right through.
I hope you gents could advise me what to do.
Is there some sort of a plate in there. I haven't been able to find any information on the recess or what might be behind it in either workshop manuals or parts books......and I'm starting to panic.
Prior to this, the cooling system has been kept squeaky clean by myself and previous owners. Log books indicate regular changes of good quality coolant, for most of its life.
With the slot being close to the water pump, could that be the problem?
Please tell me I can fix it........please?
If so, how?
Thanks & Cheers,
Rob

Post subject: Re: BAD water leak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:54 am 
TDC Member

Rob, the slot is to allow water (or oil) to escape rather than mix in the sump (oil/water). So the water pump seal is leaking and will need to be removed and rebuilt with new seals. Have a quick search for water pump repair and you'll have all the info. Bad luck mate but couldve been on the trip which would be worse.

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:04 am 

Tony,
"THANK YOU"
Phew!!!!!!!
I know that the water pump can be a BIG job, so I'll research it well before I start. I've got a fantastic Mechanic mate who has just retired from the workforce and I'm sure he'll help me out with it.
I feel better now.
Thanks again.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:46 am 
TDC Member

No probs Rob. Make sure the underside of the impeller gets a lick on the lathe to clean up where the seal rubs on it. :thumbsup:

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 am 
TDC Member

I've just had this on my 1850. Water dripping out of the slot. It was the pump. I had rebuilt it but hadn't machine polished the under side of the impellor. I know now that if that isn't done water gets past the seal that runs on the impellor and drips out of the slot. It is essential that the underside surface of the impellor is absolutely smooth and flat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:34 am 
I had the same problem. I was very lucky and managed to get a cheap NOS pump off Ebay which cured the problem.

Tony hart do exchange units for £95.00 and, if it is 12 vane, this may be worth a bid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR7- ... SwZA1abJBv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I had the same problem. I was very lucky and managed to get a cheap NOS pump off Ebay which cured the problem.

Tony hart do exchange units for £95.00 and, if it is 12 vane, this may be worth a bid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR7- ... SwZA1abJBv
You are slightly out of date with Tony Hart's pricing. I have just paid £175 for a recon pump from him, but I got £50 back when I returned my leaking unit to him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:07 pm 

A 6 vane is better than a 12 vane. When your's a six and you decide needing a replacement best is to stick to a 6.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm 
Quote:
You are slightly out of date with Tony Hart's pricing. I have just paid £175 for a recon pump from him, but I got £50 back when I returned my leaking unit to him.
On Ebay today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Stag ... Sw-4RaaKON

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm 
TDC Member

Ah, that's a 12 vane pump. Mine is a 6 vane item and is more expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:01 pm 

Have a look at Jon Tilson's write up on this it may be useful, and a couple of others about this as well.
Rimmers also have a video of how to do the Stag one which is very similar.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YhtF6 ... KSX8JUcHPI

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12Y8vs ... 9Z8EkQZk0K

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xtFY_ ... qCiACXEALp

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:02 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Ah, that's a 12 vane pump. Mine is a 6 vane item and is more expensive.
The ceramic insert one is, but the 6 vane standard is still £95 (plus £50 surcharge)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Stag ... SwcUBYIGWg

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:41 pm 
And it goes without saying (but I will) you can not mix 6 vane impellers with 12 vane covers and vice-versa.

I would go with a rebuild kit if the shaft and impeller itself are fine. It's a precision job and can be frustrating if the brass cage gets stuck in the block but a very rewarding one when done. There's plenty to read on here and loads of people to help with advice too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
And it goes without saying (but I will) you can not mix 6 vane impellers with 12 vane covers and vice-versa.

I would go with a rebuild kit if the shaft and impeller itself are fine. It's a precision job and can be frustrating if the brass cage gets stuck in the block but a very rewarding one when done. There's plenty to read on here and loads of people to help with advice too.
the stag club was getting new impellers made for both the 6 vane and the 12 vane in brass

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 pm 

Pump Repair kit, plus gaskets, manifold gasket, O rings, spindle bush and inlet manifold connector etc, now on its way from Robsport.
£38, including £5.95 postage.
Thanks for all the advice. As usual, its very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Rob