The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:52 pm 
TDC Member

I need to remove the ten camshaft bearing cap studs from a spare 1850 head. Now I thought this should be just so easy as they spend there lives soaked in oil. But no. :(
So far I've only got 2 of them out. I don't want to risk breaking them so I reckon the reason they are so tight is they have been Loctited in place. So can you recommend a suitable solvent for these please ?
It does seem to be the stud-in-the-block that is stuck. I've extracted the bearing cap locating sleeves with no improvement.
Thanks,
Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:45 pm 
TDC Member

Standard Loctite can usually be persuaded with a blow torch.............

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm 
TDC Member

Yes heat is your friend here. If the head is scrap, stick it in the oven hot as you dare and double nut the studs ready for removal. If youre keeping the head for use, then localised heating will work. bear in mind the Ali will hold heat longer than steel after heating so wait a few mins before trying to undo (stud cools a bit head still hot )

Good luck

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:04 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks folks ! All 10 are out now. A standard butane gas torch did it. It was interesting that each one suddenly released with a bit of a crack, and some of the studs had enough thread for triple nutting, while others only had enough thread for 2 nuts. So it looks like it has been re-worked at some time. Loctite "Threadlok" is the stuff I need for eventual re-assembly I think.
Cheers,
Tony.