The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Suspension bushes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:44 pm 
TDC Lincs Area Organiser

Good evening

What started as me replacing the lower balljoint for the MOT has ended in me taking the front suspension to bits and planning to replace some of the bushes. When I removed the mounting bracket I found the shims were very rusty, I'm tempted to wire brush these and paint them in Hammorite however these were not painted new so I wonder if this will affect the width and therefore spacing of the bracket and affect on the geometry of the steering? Should these be cleaned up and smeared with grease and re-fitted?

Once the new (Polybush) bushes have been fitted should the nuts be tightned to torque specs as listed in the manual? I know the wheel needs to be on and weight bearing before tightening.

I need new steering rack gaitors as the ones fitted have fouled the subframe and split. I'm surprised it didn't fail the MOT on this really. Where can I buy these?
I know the club recon ones come with new gaitors but I don't know if these can be bought separately?
I've contacted Rimmers (sorry to swear) and asked them to inform me of the width (circumference) of the gaitors so see if they are narrower than the ones I removed. I also asked if they were made out of the UK as I have already bought poor quality carb mounts and engine mounts which have lasted months at best.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Suspension bushes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:05 pm 
TDC Member

I think you will have difficulty in finding steering rack gaitors that are the same small diameter as the originals but they are no long made of rubber and seem to last. The tip I was told was to warm them up to get them on, without this tip it is impossible to get them on with the steering rack in place. I have obtained some from Moss-europe as I live in Bristol.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:12 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Make sure weight is on the suspension before tightening up otherwise you'll have a 4x4 look. to make it easier I use a trolley jack under the BJ with the wheel off, lifting to ride height to tighten or the wheel gets in the way and you have limited access if down on the ground.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 am 

I seem to remember getting some skinny gators from jigsaw racing or paddock.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:26 pm 

Poly bushes you can tighten in every position. Jacked up with no wheels is no problem. Just push a few times when on the wheels again and all is seated.

Poly bushes have a free turning (stainless) centre bush in them. The std type rubber bushes have vulcanised non turning bushes in them and have to be tightened in the normal driving position.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:18 pm 
TDC Lincs Area Organiser

Thanks everyone.

I didn't hear back from Rimmers regarding the dimensions but they are a back-up, I'll try Jigsaw and Paddocks :)