The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:10 am 
TDC Member

Hi all, I suspect Binny (aka RUK) might be suffering head gasket failure (unexplained coolant loss, steam from the exhaust pipe in large amounts and even after a good long run out - I'll get it chemically tested though)

Anyway, can anyone recommend a source of quality head gasket sets for an 1850? For the Spitfire I'd use Payen, but I haven't found a Payen set for the 1850 yet (I thought I'd won one on eBay, but the seller cancelled the sale selling they were "out of stock" )

Cheers, Sam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I have been tasked by the late Mr Tilson to assist Mrs Tilson in clearing his sheds, garage, loft and driveway (it’s ok, he asked me before he passed on, not after!)

I’ve only done a preliminary recce so far, but I did notice some 1850 Payen gasket kits on a shelf.

A sensible offer to widow Tilson will secure one for you, but it will be a couple of weeks before I’m down there again...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Hi all, I suspect Binny (aka RUK) might be suffering head gasket failure (unexplained coolant loss, steam from the exhaust pipe in large amounts and even after a good long run out - I'll get it chemically tested though)

Anyway, can anyone recommend a source of quality head gasket sets for an 1850? For the Spitfire I'd use Payen, but I haven't found a Payen set for the 1850 yet (I thought I'd won one on eBay, but the seller cancelled the sale selling they were "out of stock" )

Cheers, Sam
Do you know why it is failing? Is it down to a low quality gasket or is there a more fundamental problem? Changing the gasket without fixing the root cause will be a temporary solution.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:03 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Do you know why it is failing? Is it down to a low quality gasket or is there a more fundamental problem? Changing the gasket without fixing the root cause will be a temporary solution.
No idea until I start investigating properly, first I have the Spitfire diff to rebuild, I'm not having both motors in bits at the same time.
I'll get the head tested and checked for flat though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:18 pm 

That's ruk it happened. But is it a stromberg one? Do these have an extra waterways under the inlet manifold? I would check first thoroughly before just taking the head of.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:30 pm 
TDC Member

Oh no! Sam you should have messaged me! I think I have a payen one that you can have, let me check.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:33 pm 
TDC Member

Thinking about it when it was at the NEC in November the chaps who used to service her came onto the stand and said that they fitted a new head in the early '90s.

Sam, try a leakdown test. If it's that bad there will be bubbles appearing in the header tank.

Shout if you need anything

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:42 pm 
TDC Member

I'm afraid the last one I have I need for DTR.

Did I give you a gasket set? That should be a payen one.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:53 am 
TDC Member

Thanks Guys, I'm going to do a chemical test on the coolant before I do anything else.
Now that you mention it James, there might have been a head gasket in the parts you gave me - I'll go and check!
With the amount of steam coming out of the exhaust pipe I'm fairly sure there's something other than just a water leak going on. But I'll keep an open mind.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:03 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
That's ruk it happened. But is it a stromberg one? Do these have an extra waterways under the inlet manifold? I would check first thoroughly before just taking the head of.

Jeroen
Thanks Jeroen, I think given how much more there is involved removing the heads on these compared with things like the 1500 engine I'll try and rule everything out before I take the head off. But if I go to all that trouble I'll get the head tested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:45 pm 
TDC Member

It's ok as long as the studs come out.

All of the anclary components have been off before so they should be ok. I have had the inlet manifold off and refitted with new bolts, the exhaust is still relatively new with brass nuts so they should unbolt easy as pie.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:51 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
It's ok as long as the studs come out.

All of the anclary components have been off before so they should be ok. I have had the inlet manifold off and refitted with new bolts, the exhaust is still relatively new with brass nuts so they should unbolt easy as pie.
Thanks James, I keep flipping mentally between "sure it's the HG, how else could it be steaming like that" and "stop being paranoid, it's cold weather of course it's steaming, it's just a leak somewhere"
I'll give it a chemical test, check for mayo and run it up to temp with it parked over a large sheet of clean cardboard and see where I'm at.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Petrol produces ten times its own weight in water when it burns; in this weather, that's a lot of steam!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:40 pm 
TDC Member

When I did the head on SWK 4 years and 22,000 miles ago I just used one of Mr Rimmers off the shelf head gaskets and its been fine. No problems.
Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:31 pm 
TDC Member

Tony, this Sam is who I was referring to to test the headmaster.

Sam, I'd just pull the head and replace the gasket, it's the only thing I didn't do on the car. At least you'll have peace of mind for the RBRR and you can have a quick look at the bores.

You can test Tony's new headmaster head removal tool! 8)