The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Water pump seal-ing?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi,

Regarding Water pump sealing, I'd like your advice.

As far as I can make out, excluding gaskets, there are 3 areas where a water pump can leak coolant.
1) There's a spring loaded upper water pump seal that bears on the flat at the base of the impeller, right? (I know, make certain that the impeller base gets a skim/faced)
2) The base of this same seal fits snugly into the top of the brass cage, right?
3) Where the cage fits into the block, the only thing stopping any coolant seeping between the block and the cage is the large "O" ring around the cage? Is that right?

If so, would it be a good idea to run some sort of sealant around the top lip of the cage before re-inserting it into the block, to aid the "O" ring? Or wouldn't it?
And what about the base of the seal where it fits into the cage? Should that have some sort of sealant applied there too.

Cheers,
Rob

Post subject: Re: Water pump seal-ing?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:18 am 
TDC Member

Theres 2 o rings on the cage Rob. Some people have used sealant around those too but if the surface in the block is nice and smooth there shouldnt be any need. I havent heard of using sealant on the top seal to cage either but maybe someone has.

Cheers

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:00 am 

Tony,
Thanks for answering.
I thought the lower "O" ring was for oil.....but I wouldn't be asking these questions if I knew for sure.
I suppose sealing the top "O" ring and the top lip of the cage couldn't hurt. Likewise the bottom of the seal into the cage.
I expect that it would make any future removal just that little bit more difficult, but hey, its a b^%%#r of a job anyway, and 5% more grief wont be noticed.
Again, Thanks,
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:31 am 
TDC Member

Yes it is for oil really. It stops oil going upwards and the top one stops water going downwards.. I know its a pain to remove but if the sealings area in the block look good and smooth I'd just grease the o rings up and go for it. Based on the marks you saw on the underside of the impeller its likely thats your problem. When fully fitted do a coolant pressure test BEFORE adding coolant. It'll take some pumping cos of the air in there but any leaks will be noisy when using a pipe to listen through. I did this first time I fitted a brass bung instead of a water pump and it paid off because the o rings leaked on mine, so the repair can be made without the watery mess :)

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:29 pm 
TDC Member

And remember to fit the drain plug before filling with coolant.
Simple really, only an idiot would forget. Again.
I'm off to dry my feet. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 pm 

When I install a water pump I use a smear of grease round these O rings and curse those that don't because when you try to remove the brass cage in later years they have seized.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:59 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
When I install a water pump I use a smear of grease round these O rings and curse those that don't because when you try to remove the brass cage in later years they have seized.
:thumbsup:

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450