The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Charging problem.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:59 am 
TDC Member

Having had some battery issues recently I put in a new battery and have now found starting issues with the new one. I was not getting over 12v at the battery when it was running. I trickle charged it overnight to 13.5v put on a spare alternator and it started ok. After 2 mins on tickover it was down to 12.6. Started again and found 12.6v again which would imply the alternator was still not charging. I don't know the condition of the replacement but suspect it was a working one from a running car that was broken up.

Is there anything else I can check or could give the same issue before I revert to another alternator ?

1980 Vermillion Sprint - 174bhp

Post subject: Re: Charging problem.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:36 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

To check the alternator...... Use your volt meter, connect to the large lead on the back and the other to earth. It should read close to 15volts. If not? Another alternator :(
Hope this helps.
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:15 pm 
TDC Member

Make sure the alternator is earthed to the engine via its bracketry. Painted parts wont help. No earth no charge :) . Quick test: put a jump lead onto alternator body and other end to battery neg. If it charges the problem is earthing.

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:15 pm 
TDC Member

Im assuming of course that the ignition light comes on when key is on?

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:57 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks. Located a bad wire at the connector. Chopped all three back and soldered again and now running ok. 14.3v whilst running. The wires are brittle so I would like to splice much further back but need to work out the best way at a later date.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:09 pm 
TDC Member

Careful with soldering wires to connectors in an environment with vibration and movement, it can make matters worse over crimping as the solder does not flex so you introduce a fracture point in the copper.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:31 pm 
TDC Member

I did crimp as best as I could but couldn't get it back as tight as originally so I backed up with some solder. I am not in a position currently to replace the whole loom but I would like to get these three wires back to their origin point if possible and replace. Probably too big an ask due to the way the loom is constructed but maybe I could splice and join nearer where they join the main loom trunk along the chassis rail.