The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MOT Fail
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:37 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

As I read that New MOT rules come in to force in May 2018 and that puts 90 % of Dolomites in that group , as the last one was built 1980 .
40 year old cars Need not have an MOT , could be a good thing apart from one vehicle I know as should be welded up My old 1976 1850

Further advice on taxing in the historic vehicle tax class can be found via the
following link: https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles
^^From 20 May 2018 most of these vehicles will not need a valid MOT certificate to be used on public roads. You still need to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition and can voluntarily have a test. We recommend continued regular maintenance and checks of the vehicle.

In the years I had this car I had some stupid Fails it failed twice on this

1) wind screen washers not hitting wind screen .. the reason for this was Bonnet was open just enough ( sitting on spring ) and the jet of water would not go past the vents .. cure Close bonnet .... red faced MOT Inspector :eyes4u:

2 ) Door Mirror fell off .. while on test ... Fail .. What happened was As the car was driven in to garage it had to pass plastic curtains hanging in door way one trapped the mirror and whipped it off ... and that was my fault ? :lol:

last front Discs so badly worn I hit one with a hammer and broke a big chunk off car sold !! ... its ok you do not need an MOT now !!

So Now you Do not need an MOT ... what is your most stupid MOT fail

Post subject: Re: MOT Fail
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:10 pm 
TDC Member

The tester who does my Dolomites doesn't let the screen washer jets mess up the windscreen or nice shiny paintwork - he's happy if they can dribble into a tissue!

1980 Dolomite 1850HL Auto
1977 Dolomite 1500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:30 pm 

You forgot to mention that to be MOT exempt you need to fill out form V112 at a post office when you 'tax' the car. there are plenty of posts on this subject on the interwebs and the exemption date is based on the car REGISTERED date as shown on the V5c not its build date.

Most stupid fail...... Rear seatbelts mounting points corroded on a fiat Panda that didn't have rear seat belts, tester argued the toss with me that it was still a fail as the mounting points were there.
Appealed to DVSA, he got a slap and I got an apology. car still failed though as there were a other faults, the garage went bust about six months later as I wasn't the only person he tried to rip off.

Best advisory...... 'Driver really shouldn't have long hair in a pony tail at his age'. (he was just jealous that I still have long hair)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:36 pm 

Quote:

2 ) Door Mirror fell off .. while on test ... Fail .. What happened was As the car was driven in to garage it had to pass plastic curtains hanging in door way one trapped the mirror and whipped it off ... and that was my fault ? :lol:

It shouldn't had failed on a missing door mirror as pre 1978 you only need an interior mirror.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:06 pm 

Had my 1300 Dolomite MOT'd last week by a very classic friendly tester.

He didn't test the wipers and washers, said he saw me using them outside the garage ( I did ). To be fair the owner of an MGB GT in before me was told in front of me his washer motor needed replacing but I've past it because I got one squirt of water out and that's good enough for me. I was able to follow him all around and under the car and observe everything he did. He didn't test the emissions at all but gave it a thorough test on all things steering brakes etc. Pointed out that he couldn't decide if one of my rear shocks had a very slight weep and suggested I keep an eye on it. Both rack gaiters had a small amount of deterioration and said the lower ball joint gaiter needed replacing before next year. Was actually the track rod end gaiter and in my opinion it is roached. Gave me a pass with no advisories on the new format certificate, which surprised me considering his comments. He said I know you will have it all done as soon as you can, which is correct. All parts are on there way to me via Alun and the club.

Now that's a friendly tester , but is he too friendly?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:38 pm 
TDC Member

Depends if he knows you or not. If you have a good relationship, and he knows you will get small things done, then OK.

If he's never seen you before then how does he know you will do the work?

My MOT man is classic friendly but will not pass things which require attention, on classics or moderns. If there are small faults, he will often pass the car but keep the certificate until the bits are fixed and he's seen them. That's fair enough.

Peter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:45 pm 

Quote:
Depends if he knows you or not. If you have a good relationship, and he knows you will get small things done, then OK.

If he's never seen you before then how does he know you will do the work?

My MOT man is classic friendly but will not pass things which require attention, on classics or moderns. If there are small faults, he will often pass the car but keep the certificate until the bits are fixed and he's seen them. That's fair enough.

Peter.
Its pointless for him to keep the ticket as if you decided not to fix it it still shows on the system as pass and you don't need a ticket to sell the car as it can be looked up online

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:51 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

If you have classic friendly tester...... Just remember it is his livelyhood, and it costs thousands of pounds to set an mot station up. Do the job asap. I normally pop back and show him it's done even though he trusts me :D I also tell him if i am selling the car........ As that can bounce back terribly.

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 pm 

Quote:
The tester who does my Dolomites doesn't let the screen washer jets mess up the windscreen or nice shiny paintwork - he's happy if they can dribble into a tissue!
My first MOT for 6 years is in July .. (new cars ) on this car ( VW POLO .. 5500 miles ) I have never used washers or wipers !! Wax applied / rainex .... hate rear wash wipes what is the point of them ?
But now have to make sure Revising light works , but my daytime running light do not have to work ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:27 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

It shouldn't had failed on a missing door mirror as pre 1978 you only need an interior mirror.

I think if the mounts were there on the door the mirror has to be there , or the guy must be thinking ... what if it fell off while driving ... long time ago now ... had 5 new cars since then

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:07 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
.... hate rear wash wipes what is the point of them.
Drive my V50 in the rain, you'll soon see the point of them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
My first MOT for 6 years is in July .. (new cars ) on this car ( VW POLO .. 5500 miles ) I have never used washers or wipers !! Wax applied / rainex .... hate rear wash wipes what is the point of them ?
But now have to make sure Revising light works , but my daytime running light do not have to work ?
I've been using Rain-X on my dolly since the 80's, with a near vertical windscreen the wipers are hardly ever needed above 28mph, the water just pings off quicker than the
wiper blade swish.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:28 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or a Fourtrak, rear window wipers are useful if you ever select reverse and prefer to see what's there rather than waiting for the crunch! Though maybe seeing and spatial awareness is a dying art, the company Megane I drove (might be the other way around) the other day bleeps and bloops at every opportunity for those that are partially sighted, not sure this is a useful thing. Work have also fitted something called a 'Lightfoot' that barks 'nudge' at every overtaking maneuver, sometimes I get a seductive 'nudge-nudge, penalty' which I consider a victory...

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:10 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am used to driving trucks / vans ... wing mirrors / door mirrors .. Them things that stick out and shine !! I have got so used to them , most drivers forget to use them or do not know how to ! .... can not see out of the back of a truck with or without a wiper ...

1980s when I work with Fords ( PDI CENTRE ) the most common add on was mud flaps and a rear wash wipe kit cost around £ 80 inc fitting

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've been using Rain-X on my dolly since the 80's, with a near vertical windscreen the wipers are hardly ever needed above 28mph, the water just pings off quicker than the
wiper blade swish.

plus you will not get the wiper marks on the screen ... after years of use you can see where the wiper rubber has left a mark on the screen and you can never get rid of this , you can see this be dipping water on the top corner and seeing how it runs , it finds an edge where the blade wipes the screen and will go around it .