The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:43 pm 
TDC Member

So I had to pull the head back off of DTR's engine but it hasn't been run, the head has simply been torqued down.

I have another gasket but I was looking at the one that I took off and it looks fine.

Could it be re-used?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:27 pm 
TDC Member

Nope. Once the head has been torqued down, that's it.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:19 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I did it with no problems. Not with a dolomite but in my younger years when I did fit a gasket the wrong way. That engine did run for about 10 minutes before the camshaft started sqreeking. Lifted the head about 3 cm and pulled the gasket in between and fitted it the right way round and torqued down again.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 am 
TDC Member

Yes it'll be fine use it. Done it many times, just make sure the oil feed hole seal is not distorted.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am 

Quote:
So I had to pull the head back off of DTR's engine but it hasn't been run, the head has simply been torqued down.

I have another gasket but I was looking at the one that I took off and it looks fine.

Could it be re-used?
Do you want to take the risk? It sounds like it would probably be alright, but I would be cautious and fit a new one. You don't want a failure and have to pull the head again.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:30 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

I have done it many times FWD bmc cars in order to change the bypass hose's. It was so much easier than fiddling around, and never had a problem :D So i would say "yes" as well..... Even more so as it has not been run.

Tony.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:07 am 
TDC Member

I will fit a new one just to be sure but I was curious as the one that was on there seemed absolutely fine

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:49 am 
TDC Member

I always believed that once the flame rings around the cylinders had been compressed that is it, it is not just the gasket sticking to both surfaces that counts.

time versus money for a new gasket etc.

Malcolm

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:01 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Some head gaskets can be used several times but these tend to be MLS type, not what's typically used on a Dolly. Better be safe than sorry and fit a new one.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:38 pm 

So the non re-users also don't re-torque?

Jeroen

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 pm 

Quote:

Jeroen
Surely that's not the same as lifting the head off as you are just compressing it more rather than risking separating the material and rings?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 am 

Quote:

Jeroen
I got curious about this, so did a bit of research. It seems the problem is the type of gasket used on a Dolly is permanently compressed when you fit it, so it conforms to the shape of the head and block. So I am not sure you can remove it and then recompress it, without a risk of failure. I could be wrong. Re-torquing doesn't involve removing it, so would safer.

Copper gaskets seem to be the ones you can reuse, the sort that are fitted to high HP and some racing engines.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:

Jeroen
I got curious about this, so did a bit of research. It seems the problem is the type of gasket used on a Dolly is permanently compressed when you fit it, so it conforms to the shape of the head and block. So I am not sure you can remove it and then recompress it, without a risk of failure. I could be wrong. Re-torquing doesn't involve removing it, so would safer.

Copper gaskets seem to be the ones you can reuse, the sort that are fitted to high HP and some racing engines.
That may be the reason why i never had a failure on old bmc car's, as they were copper :D

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:22 am 

I think not replacing a head gasket when its off is false economy for so many reasons.
You cannot compare a copper gasket as its not what is fitted to a sprint or any other Triumph.
My old British twin motorbikes and Lambretta scooter were with fitted copper gaskets and I would use a blow torch to heat them up and soften them and then reuse.
As stated dowel the Sprint/1850 & Stag head to the block would cure most of the slants appetite for gaskets.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:33 am 

Quote:
I think not replacing a head gasket when its off is false economy for so many reasons.
You cannot compare a copper gasket as its not what is fitted to a sprint or any other Triumph.
My old British twin motorbikes and Lambretta scooter were with fitted copper gaskets and I would use a blow torch to heat them up and soften them and then reuse.
As stated dowel the Sprint/1850 & Stag head to the block would cure most of the slants appetite for gaskets.
The K-series has dowels and it eats gaskets. To be fair they were nasty nylon things, but even metal dowels don't completely solve the problem.

The better fix would be to not use angled head bolts. Isn't that a mod Saab made when they redesigned the slant engine? I don't think Saabs have a rep for blowing heads.