The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Tyres
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 pm 
TDC Member

Not that long ago I posted a similar thread on here asking what the current specification is for the handbook's 155/SR13 description.
As a result I fitted 4 new Dunlop Street Response2 tyres (155 80 R13 79T) to my 1500HL last week.
First impressions are that the new tyres are quieter (rated at 68db - most are 69-70db) so maybe not that much difference.
However I can tell that the car rolls better; it's so much easier to push in and out of the garage.
Cost - fully fitted at ATS - for four, was a hundred and ninety seven pounds bought on-line. That was the cheapest I could find.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am 
That will probably be mostly down to tyre pressure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 am 
Its funny my books tell me that OE on a Toledo was 520X13. same as a Herald or an 1300 Spitfire.

The accepted standard radial alternative to a cross ply tyre of the 520 section is 145. so the recommended radial fitment by all the tyre manufacturers as far as i can see for a 1300 Spitfire or a Herald is a 145R13. which is good news as at last one of the major tyre manufacturers has made a proper classic tyre in the size 145R13 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirell ... -ca67.html and they are a sensible price.

However what seems a little strange is that these same fitment guides that say 145R13 for the Spitty and Herald (and lots of other cars that fitted 520X13) seem to list a 155R13 for the Toledo. I wonder why.

For those of you that want a 175/70R13 this https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirell ... -cn36.html is miles better than anything else. and they were OE on the Dolomite Sprint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:13 pm 
TDC Member

Would it not be polite to mention you have a financial interest in Longstone tyres?
And I am afraid I do not consider £100 for a tyre of that nature good value. Not when (probably) better tyres are available for less than half that price.

just my 2p worth.