The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: sticking brake calipers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:24 am 
my 1500 (stood mostly for past 25 years but now tying to get it back on the road) seems to have sticking front brake calipers. when you apply the brake the pads dont release unless you wack them with a hammer. any ideas to help resolve this appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:38 am 
TDC Member

Replace the flexi hoses, front and rear.

Buy new pistons, seals etc, strip and rebuild the calipers, hope everything works.
Or
Get a set of reconditioned calipers from the club.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:39 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Overhaul them with new pistons and seals, or take them off and exchange them for fully refurbished ones through the Club.

It might also be your flexi hoses acting like a valve as they are breaking down.

Have you replaced the fluid, or is that 25 years old and crystalline; it could be that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Have you had the pads out? They could be seized in the caliper...
But as above, change all flexi hose's and fluid regardless of what they look like, or it might be a tree that stops car :(

Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am 
TDC Member

If its been stood for 25 years the master cylinder will need replacing as well as the seals will be knackered, particularly if you have single line brakes, they don't give you much warning when they go, ask me how I know!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:19 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

How do you know?

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 am 
TDC Member

When I was 18 (30years ago) I bought my first Sprint that had been laid up for a few years as it had front end damage after a minor accident. I repaired it, gave it a full respray and got it back on the road. After driving it for about 2 months without any problems I hit the brakes and the pedal went straight to the floor I manage to pump the pedal and grab the handbrake but I still went into the back of a 2L Ghia Capri. Light damage to the Capri but the Sprint needed a full front panel again. The seals in the master cylinder were the problem and gave me no warning they were on their way out. So my advice if in doubt change it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:27 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
How do you know?

Jeroen
:roll: There's always one! :lol:

In 2009 when I put this dolly back on the road it had new seals fitted to the MC, thought it would be OK. Passed the MOT. 100 yards from the house, went to brake, foot to the floor. I kept it there rather than pump, thinking pumping might empty the brake fluid from wherever and keeping the foot pushed through the bulkhead might get some braking. Eventually the car stopped with the handbrake. Even though I just had to drive a few hundred yards back to the house I found it almost impossible with just a handbrake. The MC was goosed. Bought a new one from Rimmer.

The club do re-con ones now. I was lucky, no traffic and no schoolkids crossing the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:02 pm 
who do i contact re re-conditioned calipers via the club please?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:35 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Me.

Or the spares ordering line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:18 pm 
hi - i tried the spares line but number unobtainable. i want quite a few bits actually can i pm you please

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try dialling the correct number, as published in Dolly Mixture and in the members-only section, or send an email to the spares team.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:14 pm 

are you sure its the callipers sticking and not the pads sticking on the pins?