The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: mot and tax exemption
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 am 
my 1500fwd has been off the road since 1992, even before you had to sorn it. its now heading towards being back on the road. ive just insured it and need to get the historical free tax status plus mot excempt now. what do i need to do re the tax is it change the status to historic and can you do it at the post office? re the mot do you just do nothing if you dont want to mot it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:58 am 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

You will find everything here :D

Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 am 
I just took the V5 to the post office. They sent the front bit off and gave me back the rest with a receipt.

Took about 6 weeks to get the new one back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:53 pm 
TDC Member

Errrrrm ... I can see what that DVLA web-site is saying, so what is the status of the V112 MOT exemption form. Do we still need it ?
This one .
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... pdf#page=2

Thanks, Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:05 pm 
TDC Member

If the car has been off the road for over 25 years you really ought to get some evidence it is roadworthy. Taking it for an MOT is surely the simple solution. Otherwise difficult to defend yourself should anything nasty happen....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Does anyone know what happens in the event of an accident? What about if you fail an MOT, but continue to drive? But you'll surely still be insured?

1975 TRIUMPH DOLOMITE 1850 in Honeysuckle (Nina) 2015-2020

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the Triumph." - Thomas Paine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
If the car has been off the road for over 25 years you really ought to get some evidence it is roadworthy
DTR was last taxed and MOT'd in 1989, I have been to the Post Office and given them a V112 and the V5 to declare historic status, no MOT yet! But it does have new brakes, engine etc....

Checking my insurance policy's wording

"You will not be covered if the vehicle is unsafe, un-roadworthy or without a current MOT (if required)."

It is important to remember that even if a car has an MOT it doesn't necessarily mean that it is roadworthy.
Quote:
What about if you fail an MOT, but continue to drive? But you'll surely still be insured?
No, that's different, to be MOT exempt then you need to fill out form V112.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:53 pm 

Yep, all filled out and registered the V112. Bit I would like to continue to get the MOT anyway as a precaution!

1975 TRIUMPH DOLOMITE 1850 in Honeysuckle (Nina) 2015-2020

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the Triumph." - Thomas Paine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:49 am 

Quote:
If the car has been off the road for over 25 years you really ought to get some evidence it is roadworthy. Taking it for an MOT is surely the simple solution. Otherwise difficult to defend yourself should anything nasty happen....
An MOT is no defence if your car is unroad worthy. All it says is the car was OK at the time of the test, if it failed because of a serious fault after the test, the owner would still be responsible.

I agree it would be wise to get a decent mechanic to give it the once over if the OP is unsure how to check it himself, but a vehicle being road worthy and having an MOT are not the same thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:02 am 

Quote:
Yep, all filled out and registered the V112. Bit I would like to continue to get the MOT anyway as a precaution!
If you are going to get an MOT there is no need to do the V112.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:15 am 
TDC Member

I realise an MOT is still only valid at the time it is issued. However, that is still much better defence than "I checked it over and all seemed Ok". I think the courts would think the MOT a reasonable proof that a car is roadworthy, (obviously if something is seriously wrong that a responsible owner would notice, bald tyres etc then not) but how can somebody adequately check brake balance or has correctly recorded how and what was checked?
Call me daft, but an MOT is the best protection you will get. And if the car fails, it needs fixing. Carledo made some points about that a while ago which are eminently sensible.

It is becoming obvious that this change is just causing grief. A load of dodgy cars appearing for sale as not exempt as if that means they are safe. On a serious note, if buying a "classic" car it will now be far more difficult to tell if a car is ok. At the moment we can check the MOT history. Some cars fail every year on welding and bits that should have been sorted. Now we have lost that ability to check, and the owners of such cars are the very ones who will now not be doing the annual welding etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:30 am 

Quote:
I realise an MOT is still only valid at the time it is issued. However, that is still much better defence than "I checked it over and all seemed Ok". I think the courts would think the MOT a reasonable proof that a car is roadworthy, (obviously if something is seriously wrong that a responsible owner would notice, bald tyres etc then not) but how can somebody adequately check brake balance or has correctly recorded how and what was checked?
Call me daft, but an MOT is the best protection you will get. And if the car fails, it needs fixing. Carledo made some points about that a while ago which are eminently sensible.
IF you ended up in court because you were driving an unsafe car which is very unlikely unless you were involved in a serious incident as a fault on a car will normally get you a ticket to get it fixed not a court appearance then your defence of 'it has an MOT' will hold as much water as any other excuse, you mention brake balance which you can check yourself by braking but that said a calliper can stick or cylinder leak at anytime so again 'it has an MOT' is no defence in court.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:07 am 
TDC Member

So if the brakes on my car suddenly fail, say a split brake pipe. I have a serious crash. Would the courts view my case differently if my car had a six month old not issued, compared to somebody claiming MOT exemption?
I know it is a tricky question. But I believe my mot certificate is reasonable defence. (Incidentally, I do know a friend whose tr6 split a pipe on the actual mot brake test. Some work had been done by the previous owner, seems somebody nicked a pipe with the grinder, and it then got covered in waxoil)
But these are the issues that worry me. All seems ok to the driver under normal circumstances, but when things go pearshaped something fails.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:21 am 
TDC Member

In defense of having an MOT when exemption applies....
I took Binny (AKA RUK) for her MOT last weekend.... and she failed on a leaky brake hose, something I hadn't spotted in the pre-mot checks.
I'll happily keep taking my classics for the test even though both could be exempt if I wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:30 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

My van is MOT exempt now. I expect to continue to take it for a test even though I don't actually need to. It provides an opportunity to test things like the brakes which I simply cannot test properly myself as I don't have rollers.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30