The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1500 fwd wipers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:20 pm 
when you put the wipers on they barely move at all. apparently rimmers dont sell the wiper motors anymore - can the unit be reconditioned? also how do you gain access to the wiper arm mechanisms - do you have to take the dash apart? thanks

Post subject: Re: 1500 fwd wipers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:31 pm 
TDC Member

I think the first thing is "Don't Panic " as Douglas Adams would say.
I reckon the first thing to do is check that there is a good solid 12V on the green wire on the wiper switch when it is on.
Then check that there is the same on the green wire at the motor. This is the self-parking contact btw, and acts as a check for the switch.
Then check that the black wire on the motor is a good earth. Most problems are electrical.
If this is like my 1850 ( which is likely ) then switch off and remove the motor and its top cover and give the unit a good clean out of all the solidified grease, which tends to go hard after a time. Replace the grease, check the motor brushes are not worn and run it up on the bench. to make sure it works. Mine takes about 1.15A at 12.5V btw.
I'm not sure if the wiper mechanism on the 1300 is a rack mechanism ( like the MGB) or a linkage like the Dolomite range, but see if you can operate the mechanism by hand.
The Dolomite motor is high up on the RHS of the dash btw. The mounting bolts are accessed from the O/S bulkhead.
There's bound to be an FWD person around in a mo.
HTH,
Tony.