The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:42 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
Quote:
The hardest part would be sourcing the rubbing strips for the doors!

Steve
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sugru-Origin ... SwiNxbR1vB

Hi all, If you have trouble finding a rubber strip? This stuff is fantastic, it will take patience but it drys the same colour trim rubber. I have just patched a piece on my 2500S bumper strip and you cant tell.

Tony.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:55 pm 
TDC Member

Well the holiday is over and I eventually found time to get someone to look at the car. There's actually a bodyshop right across from my house, didn't even know until I googled. He had a look, said no panels, any new metal required would be made by him of necessary, straight hammer and filler job, respray the side of the car. I need to supply the strips, the clips and the bumper quarter. £500.
I went to great pains to stress that I know the car is tatty, it can never be a show winner and I just wanted it put back to its condition before the bump. This was accepted, and he explained how would do the job. Brilliant.

Now the brokers - spoke with Peter James, they will handle all dealings with the insurance company for me, they only need the one quote. They also said to speak with DAS who will handle my excess.

This shows how important it is to have a good broker, otherwise it would be a straight fight between me and the insurance company.
My new policy with Peter James has taken a 36% rise in premium, but this has an increase in value from £2,000 to £3,500 and an agreed value - and of course an accident.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:21 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I must say i have had an issue in the past with Footman james and have learned my lesson, it was an £1100 lesson and i would not insure with them again, a long story short, they instructed a repairer to collect my car and repair it and then backed out and refused to pay.

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:34 pm 

I had exactly the same thing last year. I was driven into by a Romanian lorry driver, with damage around the wheel arch and the rear door. My insurance company led me on a wild goose chase, saying they would scrap the car if I tried to claim due to "the age of the vehicle" (interesting concept! I'd like to see them scrap an E-Type with that logic!). Long story short, I have to wait until a year has passed in case the lorry driver wishes to claim against me, as there were no witnesses. I had police at the scene, a crime number and photographic evidence, but at the end of the day I'd have been better off not telling the insurer!

1975 TRIUMPH DOLOMITE 1850 in Honeysuckle (Nina) 2015-2020

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the Triumph." - Thomas Paine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:31 pm 
TDC Member

Some club members will already know that on the 25th April this year an almost unbelievable accident occurred. We had told a visitor to our house that she could park on our drive but in doing this she hit one of our dolomites which was parked on the drive and then went on and hit the garage door with such force that the door folded in and damaged one of the two dolomites that were inside the garage. I insure my cars through Footman James and the other driver was insured via SAGA. I thought that it would be a very simple claim as obviously the driver had to admit liability as no one else was involved but this was not to be the case. When the other drivers insurance company Acromas, contacted me it was all going well until I pointed out that the cars were classic cars and as a result I was advised it would be better if I claimed for the cars on my classic car insurance as Acromas would not pay as much as the cars agreed values. The result was I contacted Footman James who then passed me onto Auxillis, who were acting on behalf of Footman James and they then passed me onto my insurance provider, Ageas. This process worked very smoothly and I was told that I would be contacted by their Motor Engineer within the next two or three day as he would need to visit so as to assess the damage. I was very lucky as I had a call from him within a couple of hours to say that he could visit tomorrow morning as he was already programmed in to look at another car in the local area. When he visited he quickly determined that the car that I had valued at £1500 would be a right off and that the other car that I had valued at £4000 should be repairable. We then discussed body shops that could carry out the repair and on telephoning one the owner stated that he would call around as he intended to go for lunch close by to my home. Again I must have been very lucky as he was at my house in a very short time and discussed the repair with the Motor Engineer and myself. The next day I had a telephone call from the Motor engineer to say the body shop had submitted a quote for the work which came to £3000 and that he was prepared to approve it but asked if I wanted to go to a different body shop. I said I was happy to proceed and the work was started within a week of the accident. In respect to the dolomite that had been declared a write of, I received a letter from Ageas on the 11th May stating that a payment had been made to my bank account of £1200. Agreed value less what Ageas claim they could have obtained for the car. On the 26th April I had another letter from Ageas in which it stated ”we are pleased to advise you that your No Claims Discount (NCD) is unaffected and have not applied your £000 excess on this occasion.”
In respect to the garage door I made a third party claim on, Acromas, which has been very time consuming. I was forced to obtain a number of quotes to have the repairs carried out. It was very difficult to get through to anyone on the telephone. I think every time I called Acromas I got the message we are experiencing high call demands but value your call etc. Then there were a number of times when the person I was talking to said they would arrange for someone to call me back but this did not happen. I only received one letter from them which was dated 17th May but did not arrive until the 24th May and this was to advise me that they had sent the quotes to their contractor Core Claims who would take over the management of the claim. Core claims decided that they would only give me 90% of the lowest quote due to taking into consideration wear, tear and depreciation. I did appeal as the garage door was fully functional prior to the accident but this did not get anywhere. I did not receive an interim payment from Core Claims until the 22ND June not the full amount because they with held the VAT element of the bill until I had made the final payment and was able to send them a receipt. This payment was not sent to me until the 1st August, again in the form of a cheque.
Part of the delay in obtaining the final payment from Core Claims has been caused by the very poor customer service I have received from the company who have fitted a replacement garaged door. The manufacturer of the replacement door was a week later than originally planned and I was not told until I chased up the fitting arrangements. Then I was advised on the revised fitting day that they did not have a team with the necessary experience to fit the specific type of door and could they come three days later. Then when they fitted the door it would not operate with the existing and previously working electrical opener to which I was told they could not help as it could be opened by hand. After they left I discovered the newly installed track was causing the problem. I have had a visit from the surveyor who provided the original quote and he agrees the track needs to be adjusted but that has not taken place yet. I am not happy.

Lessons Learnt.
1. Even if it is clearly not your fault any accident will cost you time and money.
2. If you use a broker you need to know who the actual insurance provider is and check them out.
3. Make certain you have a realistic agreed value and have considered what the insurance company will claim as the scrap value.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:35 pm 
TDC Member

We had out spitfire drievn in to on the way home from the Silverstone Classic. (stuck in a queue of traffic, the lady forgot we were there!)

Anyway, we pulled into a service area and I called Peter James. They put me through to DAS (essentially ambulance chasers) who I got fed up with and told them so. After all, how the hell was I suposed to know how fast the other driver was going when they hit me, or if I was suffering any injury apart from a headache?) Anyway, they passed me onto ERS the avctual underwriters, whio ere insistent I had to have a hire car if I did not want to pay the excess. I told them that was nonsense, as it was the other drivers fault. O eventually told them to just log the claim, and I would consider my options. Overall not a great experience.

When we got home, I called the other drivers insurance, Esure. Who put me through to a team dedicated to looking after claims for people like me who were entitled to a "full costs recovered" type claim. Theye explained ERS were pushing a hire car so they could pass an inflated hire bill to them (ie charge £200 a day for a fiesta type of thing) and make the claim larger for their benefit, not mine. They suggested an independent assessor should heck the car over, which I was happy with (Hoopers are the assessors). Appt made for he Thursday at my home with clear instructions I had to be there and they could not inspect without me. I fibbed and told them the car was locked in a garage... I prepped for a battle, and did a check of the car working out what was needed. Basically a few panels, trims etc. I visited teh canley classics website, wrote a full parts list with part numbers and canleys prices. Added £250 for paint/consumables. And when the assessor arrived he was thoroughly decent. He had just been to see a ford model A, and was later off to check a herald.... Anyway, he agreed with my assessment, took the parts list and said as I was possibly looking for a cash settlement, he would be in touch.
2 days later he called me, said it was 22 hours work and it would be paid at £32/hr. Plus the parts costs as supplied by me. (I know labour would be more and he agreed I was entitled to go to wherever I wanted to get a firm quote) Anyway, I agreed to his figures for a settlement. Thurdsday last week got a call from Esure, asking if I was happy to settle the damage at the assessors amount. I agreed, and yesterday a cheque arrived. 2 weeks to the day after the accident. And as we arrived home after 1100 miles in the car doing the CT Border Raiders....

The moral is if somebody else is responsible, and takes responsibility, it is worth dealing with their insurers. It is beneficial to them to keep you happy and get things sorted quickly.