The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:02 am 
TDC Member

Just bought a pair, £28 each or £56 a pair including delivery. I went to the price list myself, couldn't see them on there and only asked because I remembered the fuss on Facebook, true to say that if you don't follow such things or frequent the forums often you would probably be none the wiser. The club do need to advertise it's wears much better!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:44 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Speaking as someone who has commissioned repro parts on many occasions, I doubt the show of hands will sway you one way or another; there are simply too few cars to influence economy of scale.

The significant cost here will be the cost of making the tooling, once that exists, the cost per unit will not vary greatly however many are committed to. For example, with the seat diaphragms, the unit cost between runs of 50 and 100 varied by just shy of £1, so to save having to store them all we opted for an initial 50 knowing we could order a second 50 when required. Despite an initial show of hands for over 30, some two years on we are nowhere near needing to order a second 50 yet.

With the seat diaphragms, the nearside and offside are identical, so the 50 we bought weren't even car set pairs. With the 1/4 light seals, the car set is four individual components, but there will likely be greater demand for the fronts over rears, and I suspect greater still offside front over nearside front.

I'd suggest you seek a cost for the tooling, with the Club or whoever funds the cost taking ownership of the tool, and work out a unit cost based on say an initial run of 50 of each type to reach payback/break even once perhaps 30-35 of each have sold. As supplies of each type dwindle, more can be ordered.

Given the likely timescale between orders, I'd recommend that not only ownership, but also possession of the tools is negotiated, as if anything happens to the manufacturer, the tools would otherwise be lost. It also ensures exclusivity avoiding a scenario where the manufacturer starts selling direct, effectively able to undercut.

This is a very fair and knowledgeable point, thank you
If the club were to be interested in owning the tool or maybe a few members to part own and leave with the club then fair dos
I for one would be more than pleased to contribute plus secure so many orders until purchased by members
Meanwhile, I am still on course with this company but it seems there is this lack of interest that concerns me
I will also look at other Triumph groups whom maybe interested to boost numbers
Any input or ideas are greatly appreciated

Mick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:17 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hiya,

Just thought I would add my name to the list of numbers for front quarter light rubbers, and very likely rear ones the end of next year too. :)

Thanks!

1975 TRIUMPH DOLOMITE 1850 in Honeysuckle (Nina) 2015-2020

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the Triumph." - Thomas Paine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:17 am 
TDC Member

I have 14 interested so far, 15 including myself
This is what worries me, come on get the word out!!
List so far below :-

Clubbyal 79ch 1 set
Galileo 1 pair
Oily66 1 set
New on this 1 set
Tony G 1 pair maybe 2
Carledo 4 fronts 2 rears
Re5rotary 1 set
Paul B 2 sets
Ragtop 1 pair
HQentity 1 set
Me 2 sets
yorkshire_spam 1 set
Triumph1300 1 set
RSi 1 set
Mahesh 1 set

Thanks Mick

Last edited by dolly micksture on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 am 
TDC Member

Depending on price/quality I'd take a full set.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Depending on price/quality I'd take a full set.
Thank you

You have been added to list

Mick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:26 pm 
TDC Member

1 car set for me please

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 pm 
TDC Member

Me too.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:17 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Numbers of currently interested parties are irrelevant to the decision making process; you will have to have more made than current demand, purely to get economic set up costs from the manufacturer and some will undoubtedly sit on a shelf somewhere for a good while before they sell.

1. Get a cost for the tooling, together with the cost of an initial run of say 50 of each type. Don't forget the VAT which the company will ultimately charge but probably won't include in their quotation
2. Report to the Club committee to see if they'll use some of the spares fund to finance the venture, or make the decision to fund it personally
3. Work out a unit cost to sell to members based on a break even point of say 30 units
4. Canvass for interested parties giving the cost
5. Sell items to positive respondees, re-imbursing the Club as appropriate

You will find once you have a price, some interest will wane, but once you have a product, others will part with their money.

Example: I had definite interest for 5 sump guards, so I had 8 made, yet despite the final price coming in less than the pre-manufacture estimate, 2 of those definite interests declined to buy once I'd had them made! Fortunately one of the definite interests bought two, and others have bought having seen the product, so I'm left holding only the one

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:47 am 

I'd have a set price dependant.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:42 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Put me down for a set of rear seals - the ones I've got are basically ruined and they're so inflexible I can't get the glass back in. I tried contacting a few places last year but didn't have any luck with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:41 pm 
TDC Member

I definitely have a pair of good rear seals if you need them for pattern, and as others pointed out they are handed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 pm 
TDC Member

Apologies for absence, been a busy few weeks regarding other projects on the go.
I have put this topic on other websites asking for more interested parties to partake on this post on this website.
I was hoping there would be more interest on here
I will be pushing this onwards until all avenues are exhausted!!
Thank you to all who have expressed interest

Mick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 pm 

Yes, i would have 1 car set please.

1969 Dodge Charger
1973 Triumph Stag
1961 Standard Atlas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am 
TDC Member

I would have a set too.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092