The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:35 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Posts: 567
Location: Harrow Middlesex
just an idea could a Stag front quarter light seal be cut down and reglued together,are they the same shape ?

Dave


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:49 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 1170
Location: Huntingdon
We've discussed that route previously as well, the T2000 version possibly being a better candidate as it's the same shape but bigger so if in desperation with no other option it might just fly in the close enough for government work sort of way but would not be ideal. Who fancies butchering a £50 seal to see if it could be made to fit then?!

_________________
Current fleet: Triumph Dolomite Sprint '75, Daihatsu Fourtrak, Honda CG125, Yamaha Fazer 600, Shetland 570

Disposal fleet: Golf GTi 16v MK3 Anniversary

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated it on pickup from dealer, was made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into, 4 times), Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2085
Location: Nr Kenilworth
Yes the rivet is slightly dome headed but not much. I should imagine there are stainless rivets that could be used too. If I had some new seals the lack of a rivet wouldnt stop me fitting it :)

Tony
Quote:
Interscrews perhaps? Surely they were only riveted for ease of manufacturing and even so, solid stainless steel flat head rivets seem in plentiful supply or am I missing something?

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:47 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2085
Location: Nr Kenilworth
Interscrews yes I was thinking of those too but didnt know they were called that lol.

Tony

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2085
Location: Nr Kenilworth
http://www.interscrew.co.uk/marine-inte ... nterscrews

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline
TDC West Mids Area Organiser
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 11907
Location: Over here...can't you see me?
I imagine a rivet is used as it has to act as a pivot; opening or closing of the 1/4 light would undo a screw fixing


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2085
Location: Nr Kenilworth
If it was set at the correct tension then loctited it would be fine. A shouldered bolt could be tightened up with a nut too, so I dont think it would be an issue really. Quite easy to make too. Do we know the O/D of the rivet or the hole size of the hinge?

Tony

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:47 pm 
Offline
TDC Shropshire Area Organiser

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:12 pm
Posts: 4705
Location: Highley, Shropshire
Quote:
If it was set at the correct tension then loctited it would be fine. A shouldered bolt could be tightened up with a nut too, so I dont think it would be an issue really. Quite easy to make too. Do we know the O/D of the rivet or the hole size of the hinge?

Tony
I'll chop up a dead 1/4 light tomorrow and measure the bits.

Steve

_________________
2 door '73 Toledo with Vauxhall Carlton 2.0 8v engine OWF 797M (The Carledo)
'78 Sprint Auto with Vauxhall Omega 2.2 16v engine EGP 247T (The Dolomega)
'91 Cavalier 2ltr 8v auto
'95 Cavalier 2ltr 16v auto
Spectrum Auto Services, Servicing, Repairs, MOT prep. Apprentice served Triumph Specialist for 45 years and home of Maverick Triumph.PM for more info or quotes.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:51 pm 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:02 pm
Posts: 2085
Location: Nr Kenilworth
Cheers Steve, could you also measure the thickness of the 3 parts the rivet goes through? (assuming its 3). im thinking a stainless solid rivet with domed head could be shortened to fit ,and drill a short hole in the end to allow it to peen when squished to form the rivet.

Cheers

Tony

_________________
Membership 2014047


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:09 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:53 pm
Posts: 567
Location: Harrow Middlesex
Quote:
Cheers Steve, could you also measure the thickness of the 3 parts the rivet goes through? (assuming its 3). im thinking a stainless solid rivet with domed head could be shortened to fit ,and drill a short hole in the end to allow it to peen when squished to form the rivet.

Cheers

Tony
Thats the rivet sorted :D just got to do the seals


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline
TDC Member

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:03 pm
Posts: 35
I have a spare drivers side quarter light with seal that can be sent to manufacture
Keep the show of hands coming people!

Mick


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:48 pm 
Offline
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:41 pm
Posts: 73
Location: dumfries
A pair of fronts for me.

_________________
1972 Triumph Toledo PKS 379L Emerald green
1974 Triumph Stag
1993 Vauxhall Corsa Died now growing flowers in it
11 Vintage Tractors
2007 Isuzu Rodeo


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline
TDC West Mids Area Organiser
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 11907
Location: Over here...can't you see me?
Speaking as someone who has commissioned repro parts on many occasions, I doubt the show of hands will sway you one way or another; there are simply too few cars to influence economy of scale.

The significant cost here will be the cost of making the tooling, once that exists, the cost per unit will not vary greatly however many are committed to. For example, with the seat diaphragms, the unit cost between runs of 50 and 100 varied by just shy of £1, so to save having to store them all we opted for an initial 50 knowing we could order a second 50 when required. Despite an initial show of hands for over 30, some two years on we are nowhere near needing to order a second 50 yet.

With the seat diaphragms, the nearside and offside are identical, so the 50 we bought weren't even car set pairs. With the 1/4 light seals, the car set is four individual components, but there will likely be greater demand for the fronts over rears, and I suspect greater still offside front over nearside front.

I'd suggest you seek a cost for the tooling, with the Club or whoever funds the cost taking ownership of the tool, and work out a unit cost based on say an initial run of 50 of each type to reach payback/break even once perhaps 30-35 of each have sold. As supplies of each type dwindle, more can be ordered.

Given the likely timescale between orders, I'd recommend that not only ownership, but also possession of the tools is negotiated, as if anything happens to the manufacturer, the tools would otherwise be lost. It also ensures exclusivity avoiding a scenario where the manufacturer starts selling direct, effectively able to undercut.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:57 am 
Offline
TDC Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Posts: 331
Quote:
Speaking as someone who has commissioned repro parts on many occasions, I doubt the show of hands will sway you one way or another; there are simply too few cars to influence economy of scale.

The significant cost here will be the cost of making the tooling, once that exists, the cost per unit will not vary greatly however many are committed to. For example, with the seat diaphragms, the unit cost between runs of 50 and 100 varied by just shy of £1, so to save having to store them all we opted for an initial 50 knowing we could order a second 50 when required. Despite an initial show of hands for over 30, some two years on we are nowhere near needing to order a second 50 yet.

With the seat diaphragms, the nearside and offside are identical, so the 50 we bought weren't even car set pairs. With the 1/4 light seals, the car set is four individual components, but there will likely be greater demand for the fronts over rears, and I suspect greater still offside front over nearside front.

I'd suggest you seek a cost for the tooling, with the Club or whoever funds the cost taking ownership of the tool, and work out a unit cost based on say an initial run of 50 of each type to reach payback/break even once perhaps 30-35 of each have sold. As supplies of each type dwindle, more can be ordered.

Given the likely timescale between orders, I'd recommend that not only ownership, but also possession of the tools is negotiated, as if anything happens to the manufacturer, the tools would otherwise be lost. It also ensures exclusivity avoiding a scenario where the manufacturer starts selling direct, effectively able to undercut.
Seat diaphragms? I didn't know that these have been remanufactured? Can't see them on the TDC spares list?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:13 am 
Offline
TDC West Mids Area Organiser
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 11907
Location: Over here...can't you see me?
The price list is in the process of being revised...it is taking a painfull while!

The diaphragms have however been promoted in Dolly Mixture, on this forum and the facebook groups (in fact it was the non-member moderator’s displeasure of their promotion on the ‘other’ group and his subsequent censure of the thread that lead to the official Club facebook group being formed)

They are, from memory, £29 each inc U.K. delivery.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited