The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alternator Fault
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:41 pm 
My alternator is reading 1.25v. Since the rest is in good condition I would like to repair it.

Does any body know if this is likely to be the rectifier or regulator. If not are there any tests that I can do.

Post subject: Re: Alternator Fault
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When my fairly new unit packed up, after not very much use, I found this guide to rebuilding them;
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/ph ... php?t=4513
However, I thought better of it, largely due to lack of time, instead choosing to buy an uprated unit from a reputable company which I'd had dealings with in the past;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-CAR- ... m570.l1313
It was a simple straight swap for the original, which I even managed to do myself.

Please note that I am simply a Forum administrator, so please do not contact me unless your question is regarding your Forum account. For general enquiries regarding the Club and its services (membership queries, questions about spares, lapdancing etc) please see https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=20098

Are you enjoying using our forum? If so why not support the owners club which provides it by joining The Triumph Dolomite Club? Help us to preserve these great cars for future generations.
Club membership costs just £30 for one year or £55 for two years. See https://forum.triumphdolomite.co.uk/vie ... =4&t=37824 for details.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:59 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

I used the same ebay item, great product with no problems :D

Tony.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am 
TDC Member

Not sure how to check the difference between a rectifier and a regulator failure, but usually when I take an alternator off and remove the rear case it becomes physically obvious. (Blackened components, melted solder, rumbling bearings)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:29 am 
TDC Member

Are you testing it in situ? If so, make sure all connections are good and that there is a good ground path for the alternator.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Alan, can you say where you are measuring the 1.25V please ? If its on the output terminals with the thick wire going to the battery, there should be 13.5V here from the battery. If its with the alternator plug disconnected there is no initial field current so I would expect low voltage.
Is the IGN light on or glowing dimly ? What do you measure across the battery with it all plugged up, and then with all the main electrics on ( lights/ HRW / heater motor etc;) at 2,500 rpm ?
Tony.