The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 am 
TDC Member

Received this message today, via the TR Register:

The UK Government is considering new proposals on increasing the level of ethanol in 95 RON petrol and phasing out entirely the 'super' 97 RON petrol. The FBHVC has issued an invitation to enthusiasts inviting them to read the Governments consultation paper and to complete a survey on use of petrol usage in older vehicles...
Note that the Government's consultation period ends on 31 August 2018 so do not delay if you wish to contribute to the consultation.

There was a covering letter containing the invitation from the FBHVC, but I am unable to link that into this post. However, as these measures would affect our cars, you may well wish to respond to the survey.

Here's a direct link to it: https://fbhvc.us14.list-manage.com/trac ... 3d234cc9ff

1980 Dolomite 1850HL Auto
1977 Dolomite 1500

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:00 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Given that most Super unleaded fuel contains ethanol at a higher concentration that regular grade fuel this doesn't make any sense. The oil companies have determined a need for super unleaded fuel, certainly most modern cars see no benefit from using it, it's mostly a marketing thing.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 am 
TDC Member

Interesting, but is it right? On the MG BBS there is a link to a Government consultation which seems to say that they realise the need to keep both E5 and Super grades of fuel. Read the documents here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consulta ... -labelling

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am 
TDC Member

My Sprint pinks on unleaded, doesn't on super, I'd rather have the extra horses than retard my ignition. Still, guess I can buy my own octane booster and add it myself and it might even work out cheaper £1.45ltr I got charged the other day for BP Super, and there's a couple of garages around here that don't even do Super anymore.

Just read that report, it does say that E5 is recognised as being required to be retained, as well as clearer labelling, yes please to that, I want the RON and the E5/E10 etc clearly displayed at the pump!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:14 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Given that most Super unleaded fuel contains ethanol at a higher concentration that regular grade fuel this doesn't make any sense. The oil companies have determined a need for super unleaded fuel, certainly most modern cars see no benefit from using it, it's mostly a marketing thing.
In the paper I linked above the government catagorically states "To date, no supplier has sold E10 petrol on the UK market." It also says "It is unlikely that suppliers will want to change their Super grade to E10, as the comparatively low volumes sold will not support meaningful progress towards their RTFO targets."

It goes on to propose that fuel suppliers and retailers should offer an E5 grade even after E10 becomes the "normal" fuel. They call this a "protection grade" of fuel specifically for the many cars (not just classics) that are not compatible with E10.

Post subject: Well….
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:20 am 
TDC Member

I have always thought that the way forward is have your car prepared for E10 fuel
but my thinking is influenced by the desire to have a car that used regularly and the fact that the Super fuel is not widely available.

In fact, running on LPG is appealing but I am unconvinced because of the availability thing.

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:39 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I use super unleaded in my Dolomite as do most other owners that I know, they all run better using original timing setting than using standard unleaded with the timing adjusted.

As for modern cars my Volvo handbook says unleaded is acceptable but recommends using super unleaded for better performance and fuel economy. I mainly use unleaded for daily use but it will pink on occasions under load which it doesn't on super. Yes fuel consumption is better but only balances out when cost is considered with a slight increase in performance and smoother running being main advantage.

For the Dolomite I would prefer it to remain available but if E5 is available then that and an additive with lead (its OHV), octane boost and fuel stabiliser is the likely route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:43 am 
TDC Member

Yes, this is the latest copy of their magazine which dropped through my door this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:53 pm 
TDC Member

How many people use Octane additive with unleaded just now in their Sprint? I only have unleaded available where I live.

Built 26/6/1980 (one of the last built), Auto, Porcelain White - Genuine Mileage 52,820 (warranted).

Only 3 previous owners, (2 within the same family).

Supplied by Lavender Hill Garage Ltd, Enfield, London, by garage owner Jimmy Metcalfe on 30th September 1980 to Geoffery Robinson, Enfield.

Club Membership No: 2017092

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:15 pm 
TDC Member

Just completed my survey, it's got to be worth it as it is likely, to be our only shot at telling the government that we are actually using our cars. Not just polishing them. Be prepared to give figures in litres rather than gallons.
Graham

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 pm 
TDC Member

Done.