The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1k RAL paint
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I have had to do so much welding on my car, that I am rapidly heading to a full respray. The results I have got from cellulose and a spray gun have been less than fantastic. Even with a water trap, the gun can't produce a nice consistent spray and the results are rough. The colour match, Carmen Red, is also pretty poor. I know red fades, but I don't think it fades that much.

Having the traditional reaction of how much, to the cost of paint from the usual suppliers. I had ago using the cheap RAL paints on ebay. Bought some cans to try for samples. I have a panel which needs respraying I can test the paint for a match.

Ral Carmen red (3002) is too bright, almost traffic light red, Red purple (3004) is too, well, purple, but it is a pretty close match. So I am going to try (3003) next and hope that is close.

The quality of the finish I get out the can from the 1k paint is actually pretty good, almost glass like, much better than the celly. So is 1K paint an OK option for a cheap home respray or is it asking for trouble?

Post subject: Re: 1k RAL paint
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:56 pm 
TDC Member

Carmine red was also a Vauxhall colour but not "82" Triumph. Much brighter than our colour. I had some carmine 82 recently for a boot respray and Im very pleased with it even though the rest of the car hasnt been painted yet. Paint suppliers taking the p155 as usual. once you bought it its yours end of story. Couldnt survive in most trades with that attitude but paint suppliers seem to.

Tony

Post subject: Re: 1k RAL paint
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:03 am 

Its not worth using a spray can to test for colour match if you are using proper paint for the job as the mixture will very likely be different. when you sprayed yourself what make, quality and amount of thinners are you using and what make/ model spray gun, have you also tried playing the air flow mixture on the gun?
A decent gun can make a lot of difference to the finish. if your gun isn't producing a constant flow then either you are not using the gun correctly (priming the trigger each stroke?), the settings are not correct for the paint, wrong size nozzle. or the gun itself is at fault. I've just sprayed an Austin using Celly using a new gun and got much better results then using my cheaper £30 gun.