The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Newbie Questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:49 pm 
Hi All,

I've just bought a '77 1850HL (the white one that David6214 has been advertising). She failed her MoT today, on a few small things and the handbrake. The offical failure notice says:

Parking brake lever has no reserve travel
Parking brake efficiency below requirements
Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort

I've spoken to a mate who knows Dollys well, and he suggests the adjusters in the rear brakes need attention, is there anything else I should look at?

Also, the steering seems rather loose, although it got no mention in the test. What bits are likely to need replacing/inspecting?

Other minor issues, the speedo does not work, and I don't have a key to lock the bootlid, I assume the speedo is due to a knackered cable? Are these easily available?

Cheers,

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:30 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Just to get you started

Could be that the cables have stretched as well, I think these are relatively easy to get hold of. It had stood for quite a while, possible with the handbrake on before I had it (any thoughts Ken?) Get yourself a rimmers catalogue (even if its just as a guide) as they have a comprehensive list of spares.

Could be the UJ on the steering, they seem to be the problem areas for most of the steering problems you see on here. There may be something on our old forum, there is a link to it somewhere on here, I'lll see if I can find it.

Speedo is likely to be the cable. You can usually tell when you remove one end.

Others more knowledgeable than me will correct anything I get wrong and probably write more.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:43 pm 
Yes, you're mate is right. It's the adjusters. The 1850HL is blessed with self adjusting handbrake and in time the leavers that hold the adjusting ratchets in place either get tired or become bent (sound like a Tory MP :lol:)

You can either replace the leavers (Mick Dolphin has a few in stock) or adjust the shoes manually until you can just get the drum on.

Hope this helps. :)

ALAN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:48 am 
i'd go with a good strip and clean up put it back together 1st, before forking out on stuff, could just be GUNGE and also adjust the cables...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:06 am 
hello, nothing sensible to add .
welcome to dolly world.

Post subject: Easy Peasy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 am 

Remove drums, inspect shoes. As parking brake only was low efficiency suspect shoes are okay and no wheel cylider troubles. Good.
Disconnect handbrake cable. Move lever by hand and you should see if the self adjuster turns okay. If it doesnt remove, lubricate thread and where wheel bears on cylinder and refit. Bend ratchet lever so it turns the wheel as the handbrake lever is moved. Refit drum....you should be able to work the hanbrake lever by hand and hear the clicks as the brake adjusts up. Do this until the clicks stop and you should feel the drum lock as the lever is moved and the brakes come on.
Adjust cable end by loosening the 7/16 lock nut and turn the shackle up the cable so that you can just get the cotter pin back through the lever.

Job done...