The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Rear Bushes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:29 pm 
Can anyone give any tips on fitting poly bushes to the trailing arms and tiebars. I have never fitted bushes before and dont want to b*gger it up.

Thanks

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:21 pm 
i'm watching this too coz I'll be doing mine soon.

I think you'd be a bit of a legend if you managed to bugger it up, the only thing i think you'll need to watch is making sure everything goes back the same as it came off.

from experience doing the front ones, the advantage I had was all the goodies were sandblasted and then painted, so everything was clean n lovely to work with. the back parts that I'll be tackling shortly will be the same.

the hardest on the front were the anti roll bar ones which were a proper bitch to get off. the new poly ones went on a treat with a squirt of white grease...

any handy hints and tips appreciated by me too...

:shrug:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 pm 
Trailing arms are not too bad - lube up the bush with plently of the grease that should be supplied with it and press it in, in a vice - use some thin bits of wood to protect it from damage and keep the pressure equal.

Don't forget you'll have to keep the flat you're pressing into away from the outside of the hole - as otherwise the bush will have no-where to go to when it comes out the other side - use two bits of wood either side of it or similar :)

Make sure they go in square, too, otherwise it gets a bit messy.

Same procedure for the tie bar - put it in the vice, rest the bush against it and crank it in slowly. Smear some of the lube on the inside of the hole you're fitting the bush into, too.

Fnaar fnaar.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:12 pm 
yep, with you there lewis, its just sooooooooo satisfying when plenty of lube is used and it just slides in nice n smooth...

:rolleyes2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:34 pm 
use your fairy (liquid) in there lubes it nice :wink:

Post subject: Trailing arm bushes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:27 pm 
TDC Member

Before you can press in the new ones you first have to get out the old ones. They can be very difficult to press out and I have been told that it is best to just drill out the rubber around the central metal bush so that the remaining rubber can be turned into the centre and so removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:35 pm 
TDC Member

Trailing arms & tie bars are very easy if you use the "Polybush" variety that Mark @ Jigsaw sells. They come in two halves.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Last edited by Mad Mart on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Rear Bushes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:55 pm 
Thanks. I will come up with a cunning plan instead of a vice (dont have one). The bushes I am putting in are the Yellow ones that are in 2 halves. I have had the trailing arms and tie bars blast cleaned which has left the hole for the bushes pretty smooth and I have painted them so hopefully with a bit of lube and pressure...... you know the rest!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:16 pm 
You can use a bit of studding some large washers and a couple of nuts and wind them in if you dont have a vice.

Post subject: Rear Bush installation
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:13 pm 
[You can use a bit of studding some large washers and a couple of nuts and wind them in if you dont have a vice.]

Thanks I used this method after spending half an hour trying to find something that would be useful. As said earlier the trailing arms were a doddle compaired to the tie rods. I have noticed that 1 half of the bush goes in all the way but the other goes in with about 3mm still showing. Is this normal. [/quote]

Post subject: rear bushes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:41 pm 
Axle is now on the car. Took some doing with jacks etc to get the tie rods and trailing arms back into their housings. Was hoping to get the car back on its wheels but after refitting the brakes I cant get the passenger side drum on. Big hammer did not work any suggestions!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:08 pm 
TDC Member

Have you wound the adjuster back in?

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

Post subject: brake drum
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:10 pm 
ref "have you wound the adjuster in" guess what had a look this morning and the adjuster does need to be wound back in. Bad news is that it is absaloutly siezed and even with everything I have tried cannot get it to budge. Does any one know where I can get an adjuster LH (passenger). This is the only thing that is stopping the Toledo hitting the road!!!!!

Thanks

Alan

Post subject: Buy a new one...???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:10 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

The adjuster comes off the backplate on these Tolly's and 1300 dollys.
Ive never failed to unseize one though with the wedge bits out and WD40 they always come free...

Jonners