The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:39 pm 
Dear Andy,

The story about my cars should serve as a timely reminder that purchasers should verify that the seller of any vehicle has valid title to it, as being in possession of an V5, however acquired, does not prove ownership of the vehicle at all.

My thanks to forum readers who have been able and are still helping me in resolving this unfortunate business.

Kind regards,

Tony Fox RLD 900R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:22 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Anyone can apply for a V5c registration certificate for any car. In doing so this should initiate a letter to the previously registered keeper at the address on the previous V5c stating they are no longer responsible for that vehicle; did this letter not arrive with you Tony?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:00 pm 
The letter you receive from DVLA is actually issued along the lines that DVLA have received a request that "someone else has applied to be recorded as keeper and be issued with a registration certificate".

DVLA give you a telephone number and an address to contact "If you still have the vehicle or if the vehicle has been stolen and there is no reason why someone should be applying for a V5C".

Only if you have sold the vehicle, but not sent in the old V5, or if there is dispute over ownership do you not phone the DVLA.

Getting the letter was the trigger that advised me the cars were no longer where I believed them to be and started the ball rolling on the forum as I had been trying to contact the storage facility without success to find out was going on.

The DVLA letter also states that the Vehicle Register does not attempt to record the legal ownership of vehicles nor are DVLA concerned with issues of ownership....

You can easily check the current status of any vehicle online to see if it is taxed or SORN'd. If it is currently SORN'd, (which mine was) then someone (me) is very likely to have an active / ongoing interest in it, hence the warning to buyers to check out a vehicle they may be interested in before parting with money.

Post subject: Sorn
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:26 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Just on the SORN comment, any vehicle I am not driving is registered SORN, so if someone is checking on one that I have for sale, they will see it is SORN, even if I am about to sell it.

Last edited by David6214 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:16 pm 
Simple rule of thumb in my experience is that I want to see the registered keeper at the point of sale. I wouldn't touch one that either has the V5 and the guy states that he hasn't registered it yet. Or if that's the case, lets get the r/k shown on the V5 on the phone and verify that he has passed it on.

What happened in my case when I got nicked for Theft of a motor vehicle (oh how my colleagues laughed in the canteen the next day) was that I left a note on the windscreen for 3 months asking the owner to call me. Car was further vandalised, no call from owner. Applied for V5, received V5. It turns out that the owner spent 6-9 months abroad and so didn't answer the letter that dvla sent to him. They assumed ownership had passed on. The fact that it hadn't been taxed in 8 years (pre sorn) and left on the public highway wasn't questioned by my colleagues. They just assumed that I was up to no good! 2000 quid later, the case was dismissed by a judge at crown court and my career was completely tarnished. All for the sake of a Triumph Vitesse saloon worth £30!

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:57 am 
TDC Member

Surely the DVLA need to change the way they issue the V5,

Wouldn't it make more sense if they only issued a V5 to the person requesting the V5 if the previous owner/keeper said Yes.

If no reply from the previous owner then no V5 can be issued umtill more check's can be made DVLA Police ETC.
OK there will be shortfull's,
But is this not better all round.

Ive seen the car in question and to be honest I don't know why David bother buying it.

I would of run it in as scrap straight away.

Back in my possession 22 September 2019.
Rebuilding the Sprint time taken so far, 111Hrs@15/12/2020
212Hrs @31/12/2021
352 @ 28/11/2022
455Hrs @ 20/10/2023
480Hrs @ 14/03/2024
This is time taken at the Sprint not necessary time worked.

Working on a ratio of just 7Hrs a day not including driving to the Sprint.
That equals to 68 days that doesn’t include weekends.
Member TDC no 0471

Project 13B Sprint now back on.

Post subject: my experience
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Friend wanted a Triumph Herald Convertable and against my advice bid for it on Ebay before going to see it. When we got there I could see from 50 paces it was a shed, had a Vitesse Bonnet nor was it an original convertable. Eventually the bloke turned up so we could get closer to the car. As I went poking around it and found it was even worse than I had thought my friend was about to hand over £400. I asked to see the log book and he dug t out. It became obvious very quickly that he had used the car a few years ago by various receipts I found in the file. However he hadn't bothered to send off the log book to have his name as registered keeper added. I asked him why he had done this and he said cos he was a trader he didn't need to. Now I work in the trade and know that if you bring a vehicle in you should fill out the "sold to trader" section and send it off, he hadn't done it. I forgave him for this but then asked if he could prove that he was the legal owner of the car e.g. a purchase invoice or something in his stock records. He couldn't do this so suggested to my friend that he walked away. The seller got very angry and said we had wasted his time. This may be true but a genuine seller will be only to glad to prove ownership of the vehicle he or she is selling. He couldn't, we walked. It might have only been a few hundred pounds but not worth the risk. Said friend is still looking for a Herald convertable!

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:48 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Said friend is still looking for a Herald convertable!
I may know of a Vitesse? convertable if interested been standing a few year's though.

Back in my possession 22 September 2019.
Rebuilding the Sprint time taken so far, 111Hrs@15/12/2020
212Hrs @31/12/2021
352 @ 28/11/2022
455Hrs @ 20/10/2023
480Hrs @ 14/03/2024
This is time taken at the Sprint not necessary time worked.

Working on a ratio of just 7Hrs a day not including driving to the Sprint.
That equals to 68 days that doesn’t include weekends.
Member TDC no 0471

Project 13B Sprint now back on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:45 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

No it's got to be a Herald. His wife would like one but it has to be a 1969 one as that is when she was born, chances rated as slim!

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30