The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:02 pm 
Indicators are on the wrong way round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:09 pm 
quite a common practice , not sure why as its safer for the sidelight to be nearest the outer edge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:28 pm 
I'd rather the indicator was towards the edge, at least it might be seen from the side better.

Side lights are pointless anyway. Are you supposed to use them when you want to save electricity!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:20 am 
belive it's suposed to give you an indication of the width of the vehicle
otherwise manufactures would be alowed design cars a tad bit different and stick the lights any where they chose to lights must be at regulation height and width ask someone who's had to sva a vehicle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:33 pm 
[quote="Judge Mental"]
Side lights are pointless anyway. Are you supposed to use them when you want to save electricity!
quote]

My understanding is that yopu should use them for parking only.

If it's dark enough to put lights on, you use dipped headlamps and in fog too. It really annoys me to see people driving around with just sidelights on. It's actually quite dangerous because if there's a car with bright headlamps on behind it, the front car disappears from view almost.

I also hate seeing people parking with headlamps on, this gives a false impression too. I have a long straight bypass near me which it is safe to overtake on at night but if someone parks in the layby half way down with headlamps on you can't tell if it's an oncoming car or not.

Post subject: Bzzzzt! wrong.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:53 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Check yer highway code. My recollection of it is:

Legal requirement is for sidelights after dusk or other reduced light conditions.
High beam headlights should not be used when there's oncoming traffic. (no direct requirement to use them)
Fogs should only be used when visibility is below 100 yards.
Main lights aren't mentioned at all.

It's been 20 years tho so I could be wrong.

Personally, I have my main lights on when it is dark enough that they will increase what I can see and I follow the above regarding side lights. I find the current trend towards having the bloody things on all they time very annoying as in a lot of circumstances it reduces what I can see. Oh sure there's less chance of me missing the closest oncoming and following cars but can I see past them to see what else is on the road? We're heading down the road of a p155 contest whereby only those with the brightest lights get seen and can see what they are doing.

Tinweevil

Post subject: re: sidelights
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:03 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
If it's dark enough to put lights on, you use dipped headlamps and in fog too. It really annoys me to see people driving around with just sidelights on.
Like all Volvo drivers :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:47 pm 
When I did my HGV in '94, I was told that you should never use sidelights only when driving. Ever. If you have to put your lights on, then main beam (dipped if required) should be the first setting.

I can't remember back for my car test.

However, I do recall an article in Practical Classics showing some cars in London in the 60s. They all had sidelights on , and it explained that the law used to be that if there were streetlamps, you could only put sidelights on. I guess too many people got ran over and then they changed the law.

Common sense tells us that lights are not only to see by, but be seen. Well adjusted main beam on dip is not going to blind anyone. Makes me laugh when I see people with just sidelights on, what are they scared of? Using too much electrickery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:52 pm 
Ahh, here we go.

Click me for enlightenment

Argument ends at the production of facts. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:58 pm 

Ahhh, not so smug mode :oops: misread one bit at first look.

How far can you see a lit cigarette Richie? You, me & Al should know this at least. Of course if theres a fooking great searchlight shining your way the cigarette won't be quite so visible.

Tinweevil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:32 pm 
Been a while since I did basic training, but the world has taught me that when you have someone shooting at you, you can't make yourself as invisible as you would like. So, in a round about way, my answer would be for the distance of a lit cigarette...too far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:21 pm 

Here is Snowdrop's with her indicators on the "wrong" way:
They were like that when I bought her. The pic was taken today at work.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:40 pm 
Mine are also supposedly the wrong way round. Do I care? bot enough to change them, obviously...